Intro Download and install Frequently Asked Questions Tips and tricks

Homepage

© J.C. Kessels 2009
MyDefrag Forum
October 31, 2014, 10:18:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Metadata  (Read 3580 times)
The Seeker
JkDefrag Supporter

View Profile
« on: January 25, 2008, 10:47:31 pm »

I've been using PerfectDisk for almost a year, which means my licence is close to expiring. Because of this, I've been using JkDefrag for the last couple of weeks and am highly impressed with it.

My question concerns metadata. Does having metadata that's fragmented noticeably affect performance? I ask because I'm seriously considering not renewing my licence for PD as I feel JkDefrag is just that good. And, as I'm sure you're aware, PD is able to defragment these "offline" files, whereas JkDefrag cannot.

"Religion is something left over from the infancy of our intelligence, it will fade away as we adopt reason and science as our guidelines."

Bertrand Russell.
jeroen
Administrator
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 07:03:57 am »

as I'm sure you're aware, PD is able to defragment these "offline" files, whereas JkDefrag cannot.
No, never heard of "offline metadata". Can you tell me more? Where is it stored, and how have you determined that JkDefrag cannot defragment it? What does the JkDefrag.log file say, which files cannot be defragmented?

JkDefrag can defragment and optimize 99.9% of your disk, there are a few system files that JkDefrag cannot defragment/optimize (and a few more on Vista). The decision you have to make is how much money you want to spend to defragment the last 0.1% of your disks. You won't notice any system performance increase, I can promise you that.
The Seeker
JkDefrag Supporter

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 11:51:47 am »

No, never heard of "offline metadata". Can you tell me more?

PerfectDisk refers to the MFT, Metadata, Pagefile and the Hibernate file as offline files.

The decision you have to make is how much money you want to spend to defragment the last 0.1% of your disks. You won't notice any system performance increase, I can promise you that.

That's a very good way to look at it. You've helped me decide to keep using JkDefrag and not renew my licence for PD. Thanks for your help.

"Religion is something left over from the infancy of our intelligence, it will fade away as we adopt reason and science as our guidelines."

Bertrand Russell.
schitzn
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 05:05:13 pm »

The USN Journal is metadata too. (this can be deleted but will void volume shadow copy)
Registry files (%systemroot\system32\config\*) are locked on XP, you can however use PageDefrag (from Sysinternals) to defragment these files offline as well as the hibernation and page file.

The JKDefrag homepage has references to defragging numerous unmovable files.  The MFT is alway in a chunk from what Ive seen (no fragmentation).
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 05:08:33 pm by schitzn » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: