I believe daily defragmentation should be very light on HDD's and do not like moving large files often. I am hosting an NNTP server and a forum, blog and wiki system over anonymous P2P networks and do not feel like defragging daily-modified large files everyday and yet do not feel like leaving them more and more fragmented either.
This is my second mod of JkDefrag.
- The largest segment to be moved at once is 64MB in size. This is basicly for defragging the disks without interrupting the running servers.
- In Mode 2 and 3, this mod ignores in Phase 2 those files of which the average fragment size is larger than 16MB. For example, a 64MB file will not be defragmented unless it is fragmented in 4 or more portions. Those files might be moved in Phase 3 and become contiguous.
- Mode 4 comes as a separate mode, which uses the original Defragment(), not my overloaded one.
- In Mode 3 and 4, gap filling is intentionally made somewhat imperfect yet in some cases faster and less troublesome, so as to avoid the getting-stuck problem.
- This mod may contain bugs unknown to me. Safety with use of this mod is by no means 100% guaranteed.
- Do NOT come and expect Jeroen Kessels, the author of the original JkDefrag, to offer support for this mod. He will almost certainly support only his original JkDefrag, which I think is better for 99% of the users who do not experience the mysterious getting-stuck problem.
- Do NOT expect me either to offer much support for this mod. To begin with, it is just experimental. I will be able to answer a few questions when I have time, and yet I may not be capable of locating and solving new problems that may pop up through your use of this mod.
- What I have implemented in this mod and a lot more will be made possible in JkDefrag ver 4 with a scripting system.