Intro Download and install Frequently Asked Questions Tips and tricks

Homepage

© J.C. Kessels 2009
MyDefrag Forum
April 16, 2014, 07:57:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 25
  Print  
Author Topic: [Script] Jaspion System Disk Optimization v8.1  (Read 58490 times)
Jaspion
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: October 16, 2012, 06:18:09 pm »

Hi Jaspion, I noticed when I use the lvl 4 data defrag script, that the directories I added to the priority file get organized alphabetically. Wouldn't it make more sense to have the first directory listed to have higher priority?

What "first" directory do you refer to?

I use my Data disk also for less used games and added the directories with Diablo III first, then Age of Conan and last Perfect World. But they get sorted with Age of Conan first :-)

P.S. Oops. I probably should have put this in the Data Disk thread.

It's ok, this functionality is similar in both script sets.

Are you using the Priority Zone? With it, you can define which files/directories should come first.

Or are you talking about file/directory placement within the Priority Zone?

Jaspion Optimization Scripts for System and Data Disks
http://www.mydefrag.com/forum/index.php?topic=5843.0
deLeewit
JkDefrag Junior

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 16, 2012, 06:35:59 pm »

Here is my configfile:
---------------------------------------------------------------
##############################
#  Jaspion MyDefrag Scripts  #
##############################

#  CONFIGFILE - Data Disk Priority Files v1.1 2012-10-07
#  compatible with MyDefrag v4.3.0 and v4.3.1

#  This file is an integral part of the Jaspion Data Disk
#  and Automatic Optimization Scripts.

/* Below is the list of files for the optional
 * Priority Zone. */

#  FileName("ADD FILES HERE")
   DirectoryName("Diablo III")
   or DirectoryName("Age of Conan")
   or DirectoryName("Perfect World International")
--------------------------------------------------------------

I have all 3 games on my data disk and since I use Diablo III most, I have it listed first. But the defrag puts it after Age of Conan. I was thinking that the order of the directories on the disk should follow the order of the directories in the config list. If that makes sense to you:-)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 07:17:59 pm by deLeewit » Logged
Jaspion
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: October 16, 2012, 07:38:33 pm »

I was thinking that the order of the directories on the disk should follow the order of the files in the config list. If that makes sense to you:-)

Yes, it is possible to do what you want. The FileSelection doesn't interfere with the FileActions. This subject has been already discussed here http://www.mydefrag.com/forum/index.php?topic=5869.msg31479#msg31479:

When you are using FastFill or other non-sorting FileActions, the order in which the files will be placed is determined by the size of the gaps to fill and of the available files to move. If you use a SortByName then the order in which they are written on the script will also be ignored as the files will be placed alphabetically.

The FileAction that does what you asked is SortByImportSequence, but it has to be used in conjunction with an ImportListFromFile FileSelect which needs a .txt file listing full paths, that is, you have to specify every file to be selected as you cannot simply select all contents of a folder. See http://www.mydefrag.com/FileBoolean-ImportListFromFile.html.

To create such a file list is relatively easy:

1 - Run cmd and navigate to the folder you wish to list.

Example: Run > cmd > cd C:\Program Files\Sauerbraten

2 - Execute the dir command with the /S and /B switches to create a new .txt file comprised of full paths of all files within this folder, including subdirectories.

Example: dir>C:\Sauerbraten.txt /S /B

3 - A new .txt file will be created as you specify, in this case it's in the C: folder.

4 - There are other switches you can use. There's a nice explanation here http://www.computerhope.com/dirhlp.htm.

So you should do this for all the games you want. Then you create a new .txt file and in it you will paste the contents of the file lists you've created in the order you want. So first you paste the contents of the Diablo III folder, then those of Age of Conan below, and below that the Perfect World. Also change the scripts accordingly so the Priority Zone uses the SortByImportSequence FileAction and the ImportListFromFile FileSelect. And voilą! =-)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 07:41:04 pm by Jaspion » Logged

BenYeeHua
JkDefrag Junior

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 17, 2012, 03:12:34 pm »

Based on System Disk Optimization - Level 7.
Code:
  /* Zone 1 - Place files at the end of the disk. */
  FileSelect
    !include "CONFIGFILE - Last-place Files.txt"!
  FileActions
    MoveToEndOfDisk()
  FileEnd

/* Place files at a determined position on the disk. */
  MakeGap(RoundUp(SystemFilesPosition,RoundSystemFilesPosition), DoNotVacate)

/* Zone 2 - Directories, and a gap. */
  FileSelect
    Directory(yes)
  FileActions
    SortByName(Ascending)
    AddGap(RoundUp(ZoneEnd + 8MB,32MB))
  FileEnd

/* Place files at the beginning of the disk. */
  MakeGap(0)

/* Zone 3 - Font files. */
  FileSelect
    !include "CONFIGFILE - Font Files.txt"!
  FileActions
    SortByName(Ascending)
  FileEnd

/* Zone 4 - Priority files. */
  FileSelect
    !include "CONFIGFILE - Priority Files.txt"!
  FileActions
    SortByImportSequence(Ascending)
  FileEnd

/* Zone 5 - MFT and some other special NTFS files, and a gap. */
  FileSelect
    SelectNtfsSystemFiles(yes)
  FileActions
    PlaceNtfsSystemFiles(Ascending,MftSize * 0.1)
  FileEnd

/* Zone 5.1 - Boot files ntbtlog. */
  FileSelect
    ImportListFromFile("C:\Program Files\MyDefrag v4.3.1\Scripts\ntbtlogConv.txt")
  FileActions
  FileEnd

/* Zone 6 - boot. */
  FileSelect
    !include "boot.txt"!
  FileActions
    SortByName(Ascending)
  FileEnd

/* Zone 7 - Boot files NTOSBOOT. */
  FileSelect
    ImportListFromProgramHints("NTOSBOOT-B00DFAAD.pf")
  FileActions
  FileEnd

/* Zone 7.1 - Prefetch. */
  FileSelect
    DirectoryPath("?:\Windows\Prefetch")
  FileActions
    AddGap(RoundUp(ZoneEnd + 8MB,32MB))
  FileEnd

/* Zone 8 - Small and recently modified system and program files, and a gap. */
  FileSelect
    !include "CONFIGFILE - System and Program Files.txt"!
      and LastChange(NumberOfSeconds ago,now)
        and not(!include "CONFIGFILE - System and Program Files Exclusion List.txt"!
          or Size(LargeFileSizeA,0))
  FileActions
    SortByName(Ascending)
    AddGap(RoundDown(Minimum(ZoneEnd + SmallGap, ZoneEnd + VolumeFree * 0.05),RoundGapSize),DoNotVacate)
  FileEnd

/* Zone 9 - Remaining system and program files. */
  FileSelect
    !include "CONFIGFILE - System and Program Files.txt"!
      and not(!include "CONFIGFILE - System and Program Files Exclusion List.txt"!)
  FileActions
    SortByName(Ascending)
  FileEnd

/* Create a free space area. */
  MakeGap(RoundDown(Minimum(ZoneBegin + LargeGap, ZoneBegin + VolumeFree * 0.5),RoundGapSize),DoNotVacate)

/* Zone 10 - Remaining files smaller than a determined size. */
  FileSelect
    Size(0,LargeFileSizeB)
  FileActions
    SortByName(Ascending)
  FileEnd

/* Create a complemental free space area. */
  !include "CONFIGFILE - Complemental Free Space Area.txt"!

/* Zone 11 - All remaining files. */
  FileSelect
    all
  FileActions
    SortByName(Ascending)
  FileEnd
There are some mistake on the Prefetch, or I using the add gap wrongly(I think I am giving the gap before the folder...), and the OS is also not using the gap correctly....
After I defrag, and reboot 2 times for the SuperPrefetch to record again, I found the record file is write between the Zone 9 and 10.
And now, the gap is used by the Browser Cache....
The record file is fragment now, and the boot time is not stable as it need read the record file(I has to find the SuperPrefetch is reading which file for the boot first...)

So maybe the gap is useless for the system write behavior?
boot.txt(by using the NTOSBOOT and xbootmgr to find the folder/file that read at boot, and the software that I run after boot)
Code:
   DirectoryPath("?:\Windows\System32\catroot")
   or DirectoryPath("?:\Windows\System32\catroot2")
   or DirectoryPath("?:\Windows\System32\config")
   or DirectoryPath("?:\Windows\System32\wbem\repository")
   or DirectoryPath("?:\Windows\System32\winevt\Logs")
   or DirectoryPath("?:\Windows\System32\config\TxR")
   or DirectoryPath("?:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\WMI\RtBackup")
and the software file that start when/after booting
-----
The space before the boot file is 356.9MB(Font files)+3.9GB+4.2GB(Priority files)+?MB(MFT and some other special NTFS files, and a gap+some NTFS and system unmovable files)=8.2GB.
And I remove the "ImportListFromProgramHints("*.pf")" and ImportListFromBootOptimize() as the layout.inf is useless for boot(it put all the folder and file at the beginning, but maybe useful for some software startup?)

The Hard Disk that I am using is WDC WD7500BPVT-8(notebook hard disk), maybe the notebook hard disk is having the slower moving read-write head, and the head is moving too many times back to the place without any read-write(not the parking zone), so it getting the best seek time under the place?
I don't know  Grin
But I just know where I should put my file.  Wink
----
I also found the NTFS zone is moved by the OS, now the NTFS zone is between the Zone 9 and 10...
Windows....
I think it is just writing at the place with space... not the space after the folder/file that it write...
Because the gap is fully used by the new write file...
----
And yup, by using ImportListFromFile, it is based on your order/list.  Wink
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 03:14:28 pm by BenYeeHua » Logged
Rohk
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 17, 2012, 03:59:45 pm »

There are some mistake on the Prefetch..

hmm.. DirectoryPath("?:\Windows\Prefetch") will only select the prefetch folder content, not the files indexed in the .pf files. You have to use the ImportListFromProgramHints to read the indexed files in .pf file to import them to the file selection.

And I remove the "ImportListFromProgramHints("*.pf")" and ImportListFromBootOptimize() as the layout.inf is useless for boot(it put all the folder and file at the beginning, but maybe useful for some software startup?)

Really?  Huh

Have you compared the list produced by xbootmgr and the layout.ini file together? Do they differ much? I'm interested what the xbootmgr lists.
Jaspion
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: October 18, 2012, 03:04:52 am »

Version 7.3 Final is ready. There are some important changes. Most notably, spacehogs are now moved to the end of the disk by default. The reason behind this change is to make defragmentation finish faster, but this functionality can be altered back to the old default if necessary. Other changes: the RoundGapSize is now defined as 512MB as default instead of a percentage of VolumeSize; the Boot and Prefetch Exclusion List no longer uses LargeFileSizeA by default; and the Priority Zone in sorted Levels had improper FileActions, this has been fixed.

Check first post for more info & download.

BenYeeHua
JkDefrag Junior

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 18, 2012, 11:17:21 pm »

hmm.. DirectoryPath("?:\Windows\Prefetch") will only select the prefetch folder content, not the files indexed in the .pf files. You have to use the ImportListFromProgramHints to read the indexed files in .pf file to import them to the file selection.
Ya, as the SuperPrefetch will read the .pf file to perfetch the software that most of the time that you use after boot.
So it is not affect so much, but the SuperPrefetch record file that it load when booting will affect the boot time.
If it load faster, it can prefetch faster.
Really?  Huh

Have you compared the list produced by xbootmgr and the layout.ini file together? Do they differ much? I'm interested what the xbootmgr lists.
Just open your layout.ini.
I am not using the WLM after boot, or running even 1 time.
C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\WINDOWS LIVE
So this file maybe changed for SuperPrefetch to perfetch the folder data(Directories)?
And listing the .pf file into it, so whatever software that you has run 1 time, it will list the file that loaded into it.
So why I need to using the ImportListFromProgramHints etc to put the less used file to the fastest place when you only run 1 time per month etc?
----
Just using the xbootmgr to trace the boot, and you can see the read/write time for Hard Disk when booting, so you will know how your hard disk is doing before/after defrag  Wink
And the Hard Faults also, its is showing the files that not/never been cache by SuperPrefetch when booting, so it need to read from the Hard Disk, not Ram, and you will also found the $MFT is there.  Smiley

After you try this, you will found the boot file is recorded by windows/ntbtlog.txt(need enable the Boot Log in msconfig)and NTOSBOOT-B00DFAAD.pf file(remember check the modified time before boot, you will found the record is old and you need to delete and reboot to let the Prefetch to rerecord it), the NTOSBOOT-B00DFAAD.pf is record when the SuperPrefetch is start prefetching your boot file. Wink

And everytimes after I delete the NTOSBOOT-B00DFAAD.pf, the boot will become faster, maybe there are some problem with SuperPrefetch that maybe fixed in Windows 8.

PS:Sometimes the SuperPrefetch record files is broken, and you need to detele the whole Prefetch folder to let it reset. Smiley
Rohk
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 19, 2012, 05:57:23 pm »

Ya, as the SuperPrefetch will read the .pf file to perfetch the software that most of the time that you use after boot.
So it is not affect so much, but the SuperPrefetch record file that it load when booting will affect the boot time.
If it load faster, it can prefetch faster.

True it could speed up the prefetcher's task, and even MyDefrag needs to read these files when it parses them. But it might not increase the boot time for the default boot optimization method, ImportListFromBootOptimize, as the layout.ini already includes some of the prefetch folder content, but only few of them for me.

What exactly are the SuperFetch record files in the prefetch folder? Are they those files ending to .db?

I am not using the WLM after boot, or running even 1 time.
C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\WINDOWS LIVE
So this file maybe changed for SuperPrefetch to perfetch the folder data(Directories)?

Yes, this is only the directory, not the content of it. It might be in the layout.ini because it is in the start menu, and the start menu is loaded during boot up (my guess). By default MyDefrag does not include directories in the prefetched files although some of them are accessed during boot up, but it places all of them ordered close to the mft and other ntfs system files. This way it could be more ideal for general pc usage and not only for the booting process, same guess for the mft location. I think, the same way as for the prefetched files, the directories and ntfs files could also be placed close together with the most used files by placing them in the middle of the prefetched application/boot files and other prioritized files.

And listing the .pf file into it, so whatever software that you has run 1 time, it will list the file that loaded into it.
So why I need to using the ImportListFromProgramHints etc to put the less used file to the fastest place when you only run 1 time per month etc?

Yes, I think this is the downside of prefetcher. It even creates a .pf files for setups and other installer used only once. The good side of it is that it also includes all the programs that you run 10-100 times per month, e.g. your browser, and it indexes the launch order of the programs files, what MyDefrag then utilizes. And furthermore the layout.ini contains all the most important files, boot and application files that are most often used in the regular pc usage and MyDefrag places them all close together giving the best disk performance overall.

About the xbootmgr,
How did you create the boot.txt that you are using? Did you manually include the files that xbootmgr shows in the graphs or does it generate a list of boot files?

Also, according to this topic, http://www.mydefrag.com/forum/index.php?topic=4200.0
NTOSBOOT-B00DFAAD.pf misses some pre-boot system files, and the ntbtlog.txt seems to be only of the drivers loaded in boot up. The layout.ini should include them all, with the other .pf files Cheesy

Ps. windows 8 indeed has a lot faster boot up. Sad that they don't improve/fix the previous versions, only make a new better one with a high price tag of course..
BenYeeHua
JkDefrag Junior

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 23, 2012, 04:43:26 am »

True it could speed up the prefetcher's task, and even MyDefrag needs to read these files when it parses them. But it might not increase the boot time for the default boot optimization method, ImportListFromBootOptimize, as the layout.ini already includes some of the prefetch folder content, but only few of them for me.

What exactly are the SuperFetch record files in the prefetch folder? Are they those files ending to .db?
I don't know, but System(process) always write the file after boot finish.

Yes, this is only the directory, not the content of it. It might be in the layout.ini because it is in the start menu, and the start menu is loaded during boot up (my guess). By default MyDefrag does not include directories in the prefetched files although some of them are accessed during boot up, but it places all of them ordered close to the mft and other ntfs system files. This way it could be more ideal for general pc usage and not only for the booting process, same guess for the mft location. I think, the same way as for the prefetched files, the directories and ntfs files could also be placed close together with the most used files by placing them in the middle of the prefetched application/boot files and other prioritized files.
Ya, so when it need to read, just read without moving the head more. Wink

Yes, I think this is the downside of prefetcher. It even creates a .pf files for setups and other installer used only once. The good side of it is that it also includes all the programs that you run 10-100 times per month, e.g. your browser, and it indexes the launch order of the programs files, what MyDefrag then utilizes. And furthermore the layout.ini contains all the most important files, boot and application files that are most often used in the regular pc usage and MyDefrag places them all close together giving the best disk performance overall.
Ya, but it is too many, until the defrag can be broken the order of the program file(maybe).

About the xbootmgr,
How did you create the boot.txt that you are using? Did you manually include the files that xbootmgr shows in the graphs or does it generate a list of boot files?

Also, according to this topic, http://www.mydefrag.com/forum/index.php?topic=4200.0
NTOSBOOT-B00DFAAD.pf misses some pre-boot system files, and the ntbtlog.txt seems to be only of the drivers loaded in boot up. The layout.ini should include them all, with the other .pf files Cheesy
Yup, I do it by reading the folder/file that reading every boot, and after boot too. Smiley
----
ntbtlog.txt is the boot file before the prefetch start working, so it is important, and the small netbook having the faster boot time.
Maybe cause by the driver or HDD I think.
And I should think about defrag the C:\Windows\winsxs, but it is too hard to catch when this folder is needed, and some file/folder is locked.

Ps. windows 8 indeed has a lot faster boot up. Sad that they don't improve/fix the previous versions, only make a new better one with a high price tag of course..
Ya, I think they changing the write order, not like windows 7 just write at the empty space, but with the order of folder(maybe).
And boot faster with some changing at the driver load(maybe)
But who know? Grin
I haven try it yet, so I can't do any guess without testing first Smiley
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 04:47:54 am by BenYeeHua » Logged
Julien

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 27, 2012, 12:09:05 pm »

I've run the system disk level 6 script and would like to propose one minor issue:

The latter launched zones doesn't seemed to bypass the former zones, say, zone 3, which includes MTF files and starts at 12.5% of the volume, and turn out filling up all the gaps intentionally created.

Except for that, I found this script went through the system files quite thoroughly, and the easy-customized config files are just awesome. Thanks for your dedication to pushing Mydefrag beyond the limit Cheesy
Jaspion
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: November 05, 2012, 05:22:26 am »

I've run the system disk level 6 script and would like to propose one minor issue:

The latter launched zones doesn't seemed to bypass the former zones, say, zone 3, which includes MTF files and starts at 12.5% of the volume, and turn out filling up all the gaps intentionally created.

Hi Julien, thanks for your observation. What you described about the MFT (Zone 3) is actually valid about the Directories gap (Zone 2), not the MFT gap. The gap for MFT is NTFS reserved space, so it is naturally bypassed by subsequent file placement. However, the gap created after Directories does get filled again by subsequent zones. This has been fixed in a minor update, version 7.3.1, which I'll upload now. (In case anybody is wondering, the solution is a simple DoNotVacate.)

Except for that, I found this script went through the system files quite thoroughly, and the easy-customized config files are just awesome. Thanks for your dedication to pushing Mydefrag beyond the limit Cheesy

Thank you for your kind words, I'm very glad my scripts could be helpful to you. But I cannot take credit for pushing MyDefrag beyond its limits. With the Jaspion Scripts I simply try to utilise the capabilities of MyDefrag in the best way possible.  Cool

Jaspion
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: November 20, 2012, 02:47:26 am »

New and improved, Jaspion System Disk Scripts v8.0!  Grin

Check 1st post for download & info.

htb2050
JkDefrag Junior

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 26, 2012, 07:42:58 am »

Hey So I downloaded your scripts and ran the system disk optimization level 8. I want to make it totally automatic. How can I do it?
Jaspion
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: November 26, 2012, 01:41:58 pm »

Hey So I downloaded your scripts and ran the system disk optimization level 8. I want to make it totally automatic. How can I do it?

Have you taken a look at the "Jaspion Automatic Script Creator.txt" file? There is a detailed explanation there on how to create your own automatic scripts.

I would like to remind you though that the Level 8 script is not meant to be used very often. If you have run it already, running it again soon will produce a lot of data movement which will not give you a lot of performance. If you read the description of Level 8 it says: trimonthly to semestral usage, that is every 3 to 6 months. But you may not need it even for a whole year or more, it depends on what kind of data you have on your computer.

To be more specific, this script will only give you a big performance boost if you have great quantities of small files such as jpg images. Level 8 will place them sorted by name, so, for example, viewing folders with many thousands of pictures will be much faster after running Level 8. But you don't need to run this Level again soon. Naturally, with time, there's a big chance they will come out of their sorted order. But only a few files will do so, and the vast majority will remain in place, sorted by name. So the benefit of running the maximum level again soon is outweighed by the time it will take and the extra stress put on the drive. I would recommend you run Level 8 before the 6-month period only of you have made extensive changes to a big collection of small files that need sequential access (such as jpg images). All sorted zones are the same: you should re-sort them only in the recommended period or if there have been extensive changes. The only exception is Level 5 which only sorts system-critical files, and is a nice idea to run every week or month even if you haven't made many changes.

If you're in doubt, reading the descriptions may help. If you need any help understanding the Levels, or creating your automatic scripts, or with anything else, please let me know.

Jaspion
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: November 28, 2012, 05:00:34 am »

Small update released!

Version 8.0.1 only fixes the descriptions of Fast Levels 2, 3, and 4. No functionality has been changed. More info and downloads on first post.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 25
  Print  

Jump to: