Intro Download and install Frequently Asked Questions Tips and tricks

Homepage

© J.C. Kessels 2009
MyDefrag Forum
August 01, 2014, 12:49:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25
  Print  
Author Topic: [Script] Jaspion System Disk Optimization v8.1  (Read 71553 times)
Jaspion
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #345 on: October 01, 2013, 06:52:23 am »

Hi im using the Data script I wondered if this is possible to add a gap after the priority files are processed as I have My Documents placed on my E drive (what is used for file storage) so I can free up space on my SSD what would I need to add?

My CONFIGFILE - Data Disk Priority Files.txt
Code:
##############################
#  Jaspion MyDefrag Scripts  #
##############################

#  CONFIGFILE - Data Disk Priority Files v1.1 2012-10-07
#  compatible with MyDefrag v4.3.0 and v4.3.1

#  This file is an integral part of the Jaspion Data Disk
#  and Automatic Optimization Scripts.

/* Below is the list of files for the optional Priority Zone. */

DirectoryName("Documents")
antonyfrn, thanks for your question.

Unfortunately, there is no easy way to do that now, you'll have to edit the .MyD scripts on all levels you use.

You can use an AddGap as the last FileAction for the Priority Files. I hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Jaspion Optimization Scripts for System and Data Disks
http://www.mydefrag.com/forum/index.php?topic=5843.0
Jaspion
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #346 on: October 15, 2013, 07:15:45 am »

Here is the first draft of version 10. I'll let it simmer for a little while before finally posting it on the beginning of this thread, but for now I can lay out the main details:

6 levels -> Zero, I, II, III, IV and V.
The higher scripts are faster in this version, as they are making use of SkipBlock at 5%.
You have more granular control of your important files now; there are three zones for important files which are placed differently: first the Top Priority Files, placed at the very beginning of the disk before anything else to be used with caution as you could end up slowing down the following zones if this one's too big, in which case it might be more interesting to use the High Priority Files, placed right after the most critical system and program files like prefetch and boot files, and the High Priority Documents, which are placed after the system and program files but before the remaining files.
Also, system and program files are selected by exclusion now, like in the default MD scripts, but my file extension and folder list is much more comprehensive.

Feedback is appreciated, if you have any suggestions or questions, just let me know.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 09:54:53 pm by Jaspion » Logged

smala
JkDefrag Junior

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: October 15, 2013, 03:20:55 pm »

Hi,
thereis a sintax error in 'Level I' at line 10
Code:
Title('System Disk Level I')
Description('Fast-processing script aimed at providing (or maintaining)
and effective performance boost, [b]it's[/b] a good compromise between fast
processing and lasting performance.')

simple work-around:
"effective performance boost, its a good compromise "
because the ' ends the string  Grin

Testing level 1!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 03:24:13 pm by smala » Logged
Jaspion
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #348 on: October 15, 2013, 06:52:58 pm »

Hi,
thereis a sintax error in 'Level I' at line 10
Code:
Title('System Disk Level I')
Description('Fast-processing script aimed at providing (or maintaining)
and effective performance boost, [b]it's[/b] a good compromise between fast
processing and lasting performance.')

simple work-around:
"effective performance boost, its a good compromise "
because the ' ends the string  Grin

Testing level 1!

Oh I'm sorry, I added that "it's a good..." later, and forgot to test it. I have corrected the file, and placed it on the same post above. Thanks!

Rohk
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: October 16, 2013, 08:17:12 am »

With quick testing the zero version, I noticed that it doesn't use any zone with SelectNtfsSystemFiles(yes) nor exclude them, which results that the ntfs system files got moved out of the way and ended up to the zone 6 "all files".

Will try more, nice to see progress! Smiley
Jaspion
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #350 on: October 16, 2013, 02:25:58 pm »

With quick testing the zero version, I noticed that it doesn't use any zone with SelectNtfsSystemFiles(yes) nor exclude them, which results that the ntfs system files got moved out of the way and ended up to the zone 6 "all files".

Will try more, nice to see progress! Smiley
Yeah, it appears that's what happens. I think I'll just exclude them like they used to be. Thanks for testing!

Jaspion
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #351 on: October 16, 2013, 10:04:07 pm »

smala, Rohk, thank you for your feedback!

Here's the new version with some improvements. I've lightened Level I a bit too, so that in the final (or penultimate) zone files won't be brought up FastFilled unless they are fragmented. Other than that, I've fixed the descriptions and the Level Zero problem.

Happy testing/optimizing!

* Jaspion System Disk Scripts v10 MkII.2.7z (5.84 KB - downloaded 885 times.)

jcdr
JkDefrag Supporter

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: October 18, 2013, 09:50:50 am »

My humble feedback:

Zone 4 - Fonts, registry, boot, prefetch, and high priority files

IMO it would be better to separate into two zones, boot (NTOSBOOT*.pf) and layout.ini (ImportListFromBootOptimize()),
  with a gap in-between.

The boot zone includes very frequently written registry and event logs. Hence the gap to accommodate size change
  and reduce future defrags.

Layout.ini is preferred over *.pf indexed files, as the layout.ini takes run frequency into account, whereas a new prefetch file
  could be created for a process that will be run only once.

Frequently used fonts are already in layout.ini, no need to hog the zone with scarcely used remaining fonts.

Zone 5 - System and program files

Again I would separate system and program files into two zones with a gap in-between.

The script if for a system disk, the system files should be separated in a short stroke zone, and not mixed with less
  frequently accessed program files.

The frequently accessed program files have already been optimized in previous zone as part of layout.ini.

This is only my opinion.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 09:55:38 am by jcdr » Logged
Jaspion
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #353 on: October 18, 2013, 02:33:58 pm »

My humble feedback:

Zone 4 - Fonts, registry, boot, prefetch, and high priority files

IMO it would be better to separate into two zones, boot (NTOSBOOT*.pf) and layout.ini (ImportListFromBootOptimize()),
  with a gap in-between.

The boot zone includes very frequently written registry and event logs. Hence the gap to accommodate size change
  and reduce future defrags.

Layout.ini is preferred over *.pf indexed files, as the layout.ini takes run frequency into account, whereas a new prefetch file
  could be created for a process that will be run only once.

Frequently used fonts are already in layout.ini, no need to hog the zone with scarcely used remaining fonts.

Thank you for your feedback!

Well, they are separated on higher levels. On lower levels they are put together to make the processing faster. They are very close together anyway as they aren't usually huge zones.

There is already a gap right after this zone.

Both prefetch and layout.ini are being used, they don't have to be in different zones. As I said putting them together makes the process faster.

The "scarcely" used remaining fonts get loaded every time you open the font options on Word or Writer, just to give one example. They are important enough to be in this position in my opinion, and their usual size is not something I'd classify as hogging (on my system with some additional fonts installed it's less than 400MB). (Plus putting them up front stabilizes that position a little because fonts usually form a more or less stable zone.)

Zone 5 - System and program files

Again I would separate system and program files into two zones with a gap in-between.

The script if for a system disk, the system files should be separated in a short stroke zone, and not mixed with less
  frequently accessed program files.

The frequently accessed program files have already been optimized in previous zone as part of layout.ini.

This is only my opinion.

Well, if the most frequently accessed files are already at a higher position, then that is the separate short-stroke zone. And the rest of the programs are in a secondary short-stroke zone, all remaining program and system files, so your system is fast for everything your most used programs especially, but also every program on the computer.

jcdr
JkDefrag Supporter

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: October 18, 2013, 06:59:29 pm »

Well, they are separated on higher levels. On lower levels they are put together to make the processing faster. They are very close together anyway as they aren't usually huge zones.
You are right, I was focusing on the lower levels scripts that could be run daily.

This brings an additional query:
If the zones are different in the various levels, then you always have to run the same script?
I.e. no daily/weekly/monthly usage.

The "scarcely" used remaining fonts get loaded every time you open the font options on Word or Writer, just to give one example. They are important enough to be in this position in my opinion, and their usual size is not something I'd classify as hogging (on my system with some additional fonts installed it's less than 400MB). (Plus putting them up front stabilizes that position a little because fonts usually form a more or less stable zone.)
They are fetched into memory only once at the start when you open MS Word.
Is this a reason enough to put them before the system files?
My opinion is no, but let's say it is a question of personal taste.

Well, if the most frequently accessed files are already at a higher position, then that is the separate short-stroke zone. And the rest of the programs are in a secondary short-stroke zone, all remaining program and system files, so your system is fast for everything your most used programs especially, but also every program on the computer.
This is what level III would give on my systems drive:
Code:
Files in Zone 1:             35,173 files -       140,926,976 bytes -            0.3%
Files in Zone 2:                 23 files -       656,195,584 bytes -            1.4%
Files in Zone 4:                786 files -       485,330,944 bytes -            1.1%
Files in Zone 5:                677 files -       716,832,768 bytes -            1.6%
Files in Zone 6:              2,259 files -     1,562,791,936 bytes -            3.5%
Files in Zone 7:              1,446 files -     1,395,408,896 bytes -            3.1%
Files in Zone 9:            210,132 files -    23,703,744,512 bytes -           52.4% System and programs
Files in Zone11 :            43,761 files -    16,607,563,776 bytes -           36.7%
A zone gathering more than 50% of the volume data is not a short stroke...
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 07:23:04 pm by jcdr » Logged
Jaspion
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #355 on: October 19, 2013, 01:37:06 am »

You are right, I was focusing on the lower levels scripts that could be run daily.

This brings an additional query:
If the zones are different in the various levels, then you always have to run the same script?
I.e. no daily/weekly/monthly usage.

jcdr, thank you for your diligent feedback!

No, you don't have to always run the same script. The problem you run into is, when you have run a sorting level, and afterwards run a fast-filling level, you end up placing some lower level files on higher level zones. This is only half a problem really, if that. You get faster processing on lower level scripts focused on processing speed, and slightly slower processing on higher level scripts focused on resulting performance it seems balanced as it is to me. (In fact this is a similar problem to the simple use of SortBy on a Monthly defrag, followed by FastFill on a subsequent, lower level like Daily defrag job on any zone.)

They are fetched into memory only once at the start when you open MS Word.
Is this a reason enough to put them before the system files?
My opinion is no, but let's say it is a question of personal taste.

I understand your concern, but I have two additional points that can justify this placement method, on top of 1) the fonts not being a particularly large zone and therefore not having a significant effect on following zones: 2) for people who do have large font collections, I'd wager they'd be happy to have them sped up. And 3) this zone tends to be a quite stable zone, more stable than system lists such as layout.ini or prefetch files, so you get much less refragmentation at that position. I could add a bonus point which is even if you get all fonts loaded during the program start-up, then having all fonts sped up will speed up the start-up all programs that load the installed fonts.

This is what level III would give on my systems drive:
Code:
Files in Zone 1:             35,173 files -       140,926,976 bytes -            0.3%
Files in Zone 2:                 23 files -       656,195,584 bytes -            1.4%
Files in Zone 4:                786 files -       485,330,944 bytes -            1.1%
Files in Zone 5:                677 files -       716,832,768 bytes -            1.6%
Files in Zone 6:              2,259 files -     1,562,791,936 bytes -            3.5%
Files in Zone 7:              1,446 files -     1,395,408,896 bytes -            3.1%
Files in Zone 9:            210,132 files -    23,703,744,512 bytes -           52.4% System and programs
Files in Zone11 :            43,761 files -    16,607,563,776 bytes -           36.7%
A zone gathering more than 50% of the volume data is not a short stroke...

If we consider a 500GB disk and a 25GB zone, that's a 5% portion of the disk. Five percent of HD volume up or down isn't really a very significant number in terms of speed change. Also, after sorting this zone, maybe not all the remaining most frequently used programs will be close together, but individual programs will be placed in more or less solid zones.

But indeed you raise an interesting point. The problem is: while there is some potential for better placement and performance, this finer tuning is a little beyond the scope of a universal script. The idea is to add your most-used programs to the High Priority Files list. They will be placed before the other program files, and are the perfect place for your most used programs.

I have though of maintaining a universal list of common programs, but this gets into two problems: first is this list would be hard to maintain, so it would have to be a community effort. Second, if this list grew too big, it could unnecessarily slow-down processing, and get so much data out of the way and into itself that the actual program and system files zone would have little data beyond the Windows files. All considered, I think it may be better to leave for the user to decide if they need to accelerate certain programs.

With the lists of boot and frequent programs files accelerated, and with no user selection of important programs, the potential problems from the size of the system and program zone are, again, as I mentioned before, to some point mitigated by the higher level sorting itself.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 01:39:56 am by Jaspion » Logged

raymondjtoth

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: October 29, 2013, 03:32:47 pm »

this is only scriped i use now the testing one wow works great i deleteall other and just keeped this one even default one i delete since you are all way updating the scrips keep up great work i use the one that dose 12 in my defrag on your scripted will only use your and get ride of rest sorry if bad spelling im austic but varry good at tech stuff
Jaspion
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #357 on: October 29, 2013, 08:45:47 pm »

this is only scriped i use now the testing one wow works great i deleteall other and just keeped this one even default one i delete since you are all way updating the scrips keep up great work i use the one that dose 12 in my defrag on your scripted will only use your and get ride of rest sorry if bad spelling im austic but varry good at tech stuff

I'm glad you like my scripts. Thank you for your kind words.

raymondjtoth

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: October 30, 2013, 06:03:52 pm »

your welcome keep up the good work the new beta 10 works well
poutnik
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: November 28, 2013, 02:02:44 pm »

Did I miss anything, or is disk start $MFT position new in V10 system scripts ? 

I have not found yet discussion leading to justification, comparing it to shifted constant position MFT.
It seems to me bringing us back to NT/W2K age...

HDD delays are driven mostly by access time delays. Access vs transfer delays are balanced typically for about 500 kB files,
while file size median is typically 10-50 kB. Mean file access time is typically 10+ times longer than mean transfer time.

Start MFT position significantly increases MFT <> files access times,
as one whole wing of short access times wrt MFT is sacrified.

It can be fast, good or easy. You can pick just 2 of them....
Treating Spacehog zone by the same effort as Boot zone is like cleaning a garden by the same effort as a living room.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25
  Print  

Jump to: