Intro Download and install Frequently Asked Questions Tips and tricks

Homepage

© J.C. Kessels 2009
MyDefrag Forum
August 29, 2014, 12:14:06 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 25
  Print  
Author Topic: [Script] Jaspion System Disk Optimization v8.1  (Read 74476 times)
Darlis
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #270 on: March 26, 2013, 05:51:47 pm »

Using quotes should work:
"C:\Program Files\MyDefrag v4.3.1\MyDefrag.exe" -v C: "System Disk Optimization - Level 8.MyD"

Need help creating a script? Try MyDefrag Script Creator.
Jaspion
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #271 on: March 27, 2013, 12:14:24 am »

Just for curiosity, I am in progress in applying Jaspion file layout to my scripting system.

More here  Yet another Universal script concept

Very interesting stuff!!

Oh yea, since you've only updated the system data and instead of data [ media, non os files ]

how do i mix it and match your current ver 8.1 of data + your ver 9 rc 6 system?
You mean to create an automatic script like the default MyDefrag automatic scripts that have both system and data disk processing built into one single script? This is within my plans for the final v9 release. If you want to create one now, just take the System Automatic script you want and paste into it the Data script you want (from VolumeSelect to VolumeEnd) right after the System VolumeEnd, saving it with a new title (or remove the title) and file name.

I tried to make a task or shortcut to run System Disk Optimization - Level 8.MyD.
I used "C:\Program Files\MyDefrag v4.3.1\MyDefrag.exe" -v C: System Disk Optimization - Level 8.MyD.
I get an error that script 8.MyD is not found.
I tried again using -v C: SystemDiskOptimizationLevel8.MyD and it worked.

Can you change the names so they work as a command line variable?

Thanks
Using quotes should work:
"C:\Program Files\MyDefrag v4.3.1\MyDefrag.exe" -v C: "System Disk Optimization - Level 8.MyD"
Yes, should work. Just like any program path that includes spaces (note how your MyDefrag.exe path already had it), you need quotes.

RC7 is in preparation and almost ready. I'd like to run a couple more tests but even if I can't I'll release it today within a few hours.

Jaspion Optimization Scripts for System and Data Disks
http://www.mydefrag.com/forum/index.php?topic=5843.0
Jaspion
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #272 on: March 27, 2013, 07:27:36 am »

Jaspion System Scripts v9 RC7

* Jaspion v9 RC7.7z (6.09 KB - downloaded 113 times.)

jengreyfox
JkDefrag Senior

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 27, 2013, 01:31:52 pm »

You're A MODDDDD!!!!!?Huh

haha, is the man back in the house?
Jaspion
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #274 on: March 27, 2013, 01:53:48 pm »

Yes, I'm a moderator now. Check the SPAM Problem thread http://www.mydefrag.com/forum/index.php?topic=38455.msg101124#msg101124.

jengreyfox
JkDefrag Senior

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: April 01, 2013, 01:54:19 am »

Yes, I'm a moderator now. Check the SPAM Problem thread http://www.mydefrag.com/forum/index.php?topic=38455.msg101124#msg101124.

well i've posted and asked twice regarding his/her absence,......any idea if Big Man is alright?

http://www.mydefrag.com/forum/index.php?topic=74935.0
anyways, had you benchmarked your scripts for this?  Tongue
Jaspion
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #276 on: April 01, 2013, 03:21:49 am »

(...)
well i've posted and asked twice regarding his/her absence,......any idea if Big Man is alright?

http://www.mydefrag.com/forum/index.php?topic=74935.0
anyways, had you benchmarked your scripts for this?  Tongue
In the spam thread you can see he (Jeroen) was posting recently, and also, who else could have made me a mod? Yes, he's alright  Wink

And no, my scripts didn't participate in that benchmark. Darlis' old XP test included his own scripts as well as MyDefrag's default ones, and extended to Weekly scripts as well as Monthly, but on this test only the default Monthly script was used, Darlis didn't even include his own script in this test. It would be very interesting if he could benchmark my scripts of course, but I don't know if he has either the time or the interest to do so. Maybe I'll try to replicate Darlis' tests in the future.

Micheal Espinola Jr
JkDefrag Junior

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 01, 2013, 12:41:49 pm »

The Jaspion Scripts can already be configured to use the colours you want. The colours are defined in the "System Disk Variables.MyD" script. Simply edit it to your liking.

Unfortunately, this does not work properly because of the way that the "System Disk Variables.MyD" script is executed.  Use of SetFileColor does not work in these circumstance.  MyDefrag throws a syntax error.

However, the syntax error does not exist if SetFileColor is added directly to the primary script, or loaded via the method that I previously referred to.

--
ME2
Jaspion
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #278 on: April 01, 2013, 04:07:30 pm »

The Jaspion Scripts can already be configured to use the colours you want. The colours are defined in the "System Disk Variables.MyD" script. Simply edit it to your liking.

Unfortunately, this does not work properly because of the way that the "System Disk Variables.MyD" script is executed.  Use of SetFileColor does not work in these circumstance.  MyDefrag throws a syntax error.

However, the syntax error does not exist if SetFileColor is added directly to the primary script, or loaded via the method that I previously referred to.
Micheal, please check the end of the "System Disk Variables.MyD" file. I'll replicate it here, in an abridged version:

Code:
##############################
#  Jaspion MyDefrag Scripts  #
##############################

#  System Disk Variables v2.5 2013-03-17
#  compatible with MyDefrag v4.3.0 and 4.3.1

/* The position of system files: */

SetVariable(SystemFilesPosition, VolumeUsed * 0.125)
/* Default value: "VolumeUsed * 0.125" */

/* The size of the free space areas destined to
 * maximize file writing throughput: */

SetVariable(SmallGap, VolumeSize * 0.01)
/* Default value: "VolumeSize * 0.01" */

(...)

# File colours for the diskmap:
SetColor(Empty,0,0,0)                                   // Black
SetColor(Allocated,45,72,128)                           // Dark-blue
SetColor(BusyRead,0,255,0)                              // Green
SetColor(BusyWrite,255,0,0)                             // Red
SetFileColor(All,171,171,171)                           // Light-grey
SetFileColor(Processed,51,255,255)                      // Light-blue
SetFileColor(Fragmented,204,102,0)                      // Dark-orange
SetFileColor(not(Movable),82,82,82)                     // Grey
SetFileColor(Selected,51,102,255)                       // Blue
SetFileColor(Selected and Fragmented,255,255,0)         // Yellow
SetFileColor(Selected and not(Movable),102,34,0)        // Brown

As you can see, SetFileColor is already being used in the System Disk Variables. All you have to do if you want to change the colors is to edit them there. Example: change SetFileColor(Selected,51,102,255) which is Blue to SetFileColor(Selected,255,255,255) which is White:

Code:
# File colours for the diskmap:
SetColor(Empty,0,0,0)                                   // Black
SetColor(Allocated,45,72,128)                           // Dark-blue
SetColor(BusyRead,0,255,0)                              // Green
SetColor(BusyWrite,255,0,0)                             // Red
SetFileColor(All,171,171,171)                           // Light-grey
SetFileColor(Processed,51,255,255)                      // Light-blue
SetFileColor(Fragmented,204,102,0)                      // Dark-orange
SetFileColor(not(Movable),82,82,82)                     // Grey
SetFileColor(Selected,255,255,255)                      // White
SetFileColor(Selected and Fragmented,255,255,0)         // Yellow
SetFileColor(Selected and not(Movable),102,34,0)        // Brown

Darlis
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #279 on: April 02, 2013, 07:33:45 pm »

And no, my scripts didn't participate in that benchmark. Darlis' old XP test included his own scripts as well as MyDefrag's default ones, and extended to Weekly scripts as well as Monthly, but on this test only the default Monthly script was used, Darlis didn't even include his own script in this test. It would be very interesting if he could benchmark my scripts of course, but I don't know if he has either the time or the interest to do so. Maybe I'll try to replicate Darlis' tests in the future.
I haven't tested my scripts because I expect the same results as the Monthly script, just with less file movements. These tests are quiet time tensive, so I don't just want to run any script I can find. The Weekly script could be a good candidate, though.

I've also planned to make a script specifically optimized for the test system. I haven't taken a closer look at your scripts yet, but if they can be modded accordingly, I'll take them into consideration.

Jaspion
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #280 on: April 03, 2013, 01:17:45 am »

I haven't tested my scripts because I expect the same results as the Monthly script, just with less file movements. These tests are quiet time tensive, so I don't just want to run any script I can find. The Weekly script could be a good candidate, though.

I've also planned to make a script specifically optimized for the test system. I haven't taken a closer look at your scripts yet, but if they can be modded accordingly, I'll take them into consideration.
A script specifically optimized for the test system? Wouldn't it be better to test regular scripts? A script that is tailored to do well in a specific test isn't representative of a real-world simulation. Unless of course you wish to simply edit the script in a more-or-less predefined way, like using my scripts' Priority Zones.

Which brings me to the question: what sort of modification did you have in mind?

Micheal Espinola Jr
JkDefrag Junior

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: April 03, 2013, 06:33:53 am »

Micheal, please check the end of the "System Disk Variables.MyD" file. I'll replicate it here, in an abridged version:

The problem is one of syntax, which may fall outside of an issue in your scripts - but its a syntax problem that presents itself because of how/where the color options are being loaded in your scripts.  It isnt a problem when a part of an !include! statement, or when directly a part of the VolumeActions command.

To see an example of the syntax error, try to use SetFileColor with an "All,All" option - like this:

Code:
  SetColor(Allocated,64,128,192)#                          Dark-Blue
  SetColor(BusyRead,0,255,0)#                              Bright-Green
  SetColor(BusyWrite,255,0,0)#                             Bright-Red
  SetColor(Empty,0,0,0)#                                   Black
  SetFileColor(All,All,96,96,96)#                          Dark-Grey  *** THIS SYNTAX BREAKS ***
  SetFileColor(All,Fragmented,128,128,0)#                  Dark-Yellow
  SetFileColor(All,Processed,64,128,192)#                  Grey-Blue
  SetFileColor(All,Selected AND Fragmented,224,224,0)#     Yellow
  SetFileColor(All,Selected AND NOT (Movable),224,0,0)#    Red
  SetFileColor(All,Selected,128,128,128)#                  Grey
  SetFileColor(All,not(Movable),128,0,0)#                  Dark-Red

--
ME2
Jaspion
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #282 on: April 03, 2013, 12:45:56 pm »

The problem is one of syntax, which may fall outside of an issue in your scripts - but its a syntax problem that presents itself because of how/where the color options are being loaded in your scripts.  It isnt a problem when a part of an !include! statement, or when directly a part of the VolumeActions command.

To see an example of the syntax error, try to use SetFileColor with an "All,All" option - like this:

Code:
  SetColor(Allocated,64,128,192)#                          Dark-Blue
  SetColor(BusyRead,0,255,0)#                              Bright-Green
  SetColor(BusyWrite,255,0,0)#                             Bright-Red
  SetColor(Empty,0,0,0)#                                   Black
  SetFileColor(All,All,96,96,96)#                          Dark-Grey  *** THIS SYNTAX BREAKS ***
  SetFileColor(All,Fragmented,128,128,0)#                  Dark-Yellow
  SetFileColor(All,Processed,64,128,192)#                  Grey-Blue
  SetFileColor(All,Selected AND Fragmented,224,224,0)#     Yellow
  SetFileColor(All,Selected AND NOT (Movable),224,0,0)#    Red
  SetFileColor(All,Selected,128,128,128)#                  Grey
  SetFileColor(All,not(Movable),128,0,0)#                  Dark-Red
Yes, I'm aware of this, I should have imagined that was the issue because I ran into the same problem when creating the colour scripting. I don't exactly know all the minutiae of why it happens, but if you check the Manual you'll see that the syntax works a little differently inside and outside a VolumeSelect. So fortunately, like you said, it falls outside of my scripts. The important thing for now is that my scripts (or any other using the same method) work. You can easily achieve the results you want if you simply edit the colour numbers, using "SetFileColor(All,R,G,B)".

Darlis
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #283 on: April 03, 2013, 06:12:06 pm »

A script specifically optimized for the test system? Wouldn't it be better to test regular scripts? A script that is tailored to do well in a specific test isn't representative of a real-world simulation. Unless of course you wish to simply edit the script in a more-or-less predefined way, like using my scripts' Priority Zones.
Technically you're right. If tried to avoid synthetic test for the new benchmarks, so I shouldn't do such tests. But on the other hand it would show how powerful the scripting language can be, if it's tweaked for the system in question.

Which brings me to the question: what sort of modification did you have in mind?
That's the difficult part. According to the benchmarks, there is not much room for further optimization. I would guess that I could achieve some improvement for the games.
I think the best place for them would be the Priority files zone and adding them to the Boot and Prefetch Exclusion List as well.

Jaspion
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #284 on: April 03, 2013, 06:24:59 pm »

Technically you're right. If tried to avoid synthetic test for the new benchmarks, so I shouldn't do such tests. But on the other hand it would show how powerful the scripting language can be, if it's tweaked for the system in question.

That's the difficult part. According to the benchmarks, there is not much room for further optimization. I would guess that I could achieve some improvement for the games.
I think the best place for them would be the Priority files zone and adding them to the Boot and Prefetch Exclusion List as well.
Well, my scripts have quite a few optimisation strategies. Fonts and registry are accelerated, and in the System Priority Zone files such as recently modified Windows files, Start Menu, logs, etc, which can all accelerate a number of operations. The System Priority Zone does not preclude inclusion in Boot/Prefetch Zones, but the User Priority Zone does. Ideally, often-used and not-so-big programs such as office suites and web browsers can be included in the System Priority Zone, and benefit from Prefetch ordering, while larger applications such as games can stay in the User Priority Zones and achieve 1) great overall acceleration, 1.1) including benefits of tight grouping, and 2) not 'dance around' in and out of the Prefetch Zone.

If you actually wish to include my scripts, I'd be more than glad to provide all assistance I can, just let me know.

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 25
  Print  

Jump to: