Intro Download and install Frequently Asked Questions Tips and tricks

Homepage

© J.C. Kessels 2009
MyDefrag Forum
September 19, 2014, 10:48:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Enable or Disable "NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate"  (Read 16911 times)
3d-plastic

View Profile
« on: August 30, 2007, 08:12:15 am »

New in Version 3.19:
If the NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate registry key is set then the program will not look at the LastAccessTime when testing if a file is a SpaceHog.

What is now better for JKD:
To Enable or Disable the "NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate" registry key?

("TuneXP says ENABLE" Recommended for NTFS users: This tweak removes the "Last Access Stamp" from all files. This improves general disk performance by removing massive bandwidth overhead.)

Or better Disable so thet JKD can look at the LastAccessTime if a file is a SpaceHog?
jeroen
Administrator
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 06:01:14 pm »

Good question! I wish I had the answer!
ektorbarajas
JkDefrag Senior

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 04:44:33 pm »

Hi Jeroen !

I don't know if you or some one else has made some tests with this registry entry.

I'm already doing some tests to see if I can benefit for jkdefrag using the "lastaccesstime" value of files & dirs (this means NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate" = 0)

btw, based on the way you developed jkdefrag, which do you recommend for obtaining the most optimization by running jkdefrag?

Thanks
jeroen
Administrator
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 06:40:43 pm »

Quote from: "ektorbarajas"
which do you recommend for obtaining the most optimization by running jkdefrag?

I recommend sorting by name "-a 7" once per month or so, and the default "-a 3" every day. But the best optimization strategy for a computer depends on how the computer is used.
ektorbarajas
JkDefrag Senior

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 08:04:11 pm »

Ok thanks !
Myriades
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 12:52:23 pm »

Hi all
I have now using the NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate=0 during 2 months

First thing, system is very slower.
Second thing, today i've made 2 standard defrag.

The picture below shows you the system with the registry key set to 0

The picture below shows you the system with the registry key set to 1

As you can see, the use of this registry key (set to 0) mades more files moved in the spacehog area.

Considering the global system performances, I will set this registry key to 1 even there is more files in the zone 2.

Regards, Laurent
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 01:13:56 pm by Myriades » Logged

JDPower
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 06:34:44 pm »

As you can see, the use of this registry key (set to 0) mades more files moved in the spacehog area.

Considering the global system performances, I will set this registry key to 1 even there is more files in the zone 2.

Regards, Laurent
Well when you have it enabled, last access timestamp is disabled so JKD AFAIK ignores the 'Files not accessed in 30 days' spacehog. If timestamps have been disabled for a while nearly all files will have an old timestamp so when you turn timestamps back on JKD will see loads of files as not having been accessed for a while and move them to spacehogs.
defragmo
JkDefrag Junior

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 03:59:43 am »

I recently set this value to "0" and found that disk activity decreased slightly when accessing lots of files.

Microsoft's description:

Because updating the last-accessed timestamp requires writing data to the disk, an activity that accesses many files might be faster if this type of update is disabled. However, some applications may require that files have an accurate last-accessed timestamp.

Vista has this option turned off by default btw, I use XP but to me it looks like everything points to disabling the timestamps.

For JkDefrag... see the note from Microsoft. I can't quite tell yet if there is any real difference in defragging.
pepoluan
JkDefrag Supporter

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 08:41:56 am »

IMO, disabling or enabling "Last Access Stamp" will not have a marked difference in the result (performance-wise) of defragmentation.

But enabling "LAS" will *probably* help prevent fragmentation, as less used file gets shoved into Zone 3, letting the Zone 2 files squabble among themselves.

Just my 2 cents Smiley
Maleko
JkDefrag Supporter

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 09:26:04 am »

is there defrag option for sorting files/folder based on this ntfs last access?
JDPower
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 04:14:05 pm »

is there defrag option for sorting files/folder based on this ntfs last access?
Yes, the -a 9 sort by last access mode
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: