Intro Download and install Frequently Asked Questions Tips and tricks

Homepage

© J.C. Kessels 2009
MyDefrag Forum
October 01, 2014, 11:19:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: HELP - Unable to start Windows XP after defragmentation  (Read 4973 times)
obridgenut
JkDefrag Junior

View Profile
« on: May 20, 2011, 12:32:41 am »

I ran JkDefrag v3 in preparation for making a disk image of my main drive which contains WinXP SP3. Upon restarting the computer I am unable to boot from the hard disk. I had made a GParted Boot Disk, which worked fine before I ran JkDefrag but now when I use it to boot the computer the drive which contains WinXP is missing! HELP! Is there anything I can do other than competely re-installing Windows? In fact, I probably can't do that either since the drive doesn't show up when I boot G Parted.
jeroen
Administrator
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 03:43:12 am »

Perhaps you can use one of the many partition recovery tools available on the internet, for example EASEUS Partition Recovery (freeware).

p.s. I don't know what happened on your harddisk, but since MyDefrag does not even look at partition information (never mind changing it), it is not possible for your problem to be caused by MyDefrag.
obridgenut
JkDefrag Junior

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 05:36:09 am »

Thanks for your prompt reply. I will try your suggestion. It might have been a coincidence, but I don't think so. I was very carefully following the steps in "Never Re-install Windows Again, Part 2, Partitioning Your Hard Drive" by Gizmo Richards from website: www.techsupportalert.com/partitioning-hard-drives-2.htm and had completed preparing boot disk and trying it out. I then used the recommended defrag program and ran defrag with no error messages.
obridgenut
JkDefrag Junior

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 05:46:36 am »

Of course I can't run any Windows programs to try to recover the partition since I can't start Windows.
BloodySword
Global Moderator
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 12:54:38 pm »

Check if your Windows partition is active for booting (with GParted).

Greetings from Germany!
obridgenut
JkDefrag Junior

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 05:02:19 pm »

No, GParted only shows my secondary drive, an empty 250GB drive. My primary drive which contains Windows XP and my program files is missing. Thanks for your suggestion. Smiley
Darlis
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 05:10:58 pm »

So the whole drive doesn't show up in GParted? If you enter the Bios, is it listed there? From which manufacturer is the drive?

Need help creating a script? Try MyDefrag Script Creator.
obridgenut
JkDefrag Junior

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 06:14:52 pm »

The drive does show up in the BIOS after I disconnected the secondary drive. Upon doing a drive analysis, the drive fails with bad initial sectors so I suspect I am out of luck Win XP and programs. Or can one still clone a drive with bad sectors and use it as a secondary, non-bootable drive?
Darlis
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 06:30:06 pm »

I wouldn't clone the drive. Many programs can't clone a drive with bad sectors. Also, a lot of files will be damaged, so don't expect to get a properly working OS out of it.
Simply copy the files you really need with the Explorer (or a Linux version of it) or any other copy program that works on file level.

Since the drive is broken I wouldn't put any valuable data on it, so it's basically useless.

obridgenut
JkDefrag Junior

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 06:44:16 pm »

Yes, that makes sense. Thanks for all of your help Jeroen, BloodySword and Darlis. I would like to mark this issue solved but don't know how to do that!
Darlis
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 06:47:12 pm »

The forum doesn't have such a feature. You can add "[SOLVED]" to the title if you want to though.

obridgenut
JkDefrag Junior

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 07:05:41 pm »

Thanks everyone! Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: