Intro Download and install Frequently Asked Questions Tips and tricks

Homepage

© J.C. Kessels 2009
MyDefrag Forum
October 25, 2014, 09:34:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: How to move unmovable files  (Read 9744 times)
markzzz
JkDefrag Junior

View Profile
« on: January 20, 2011, 02:45:37 pm »

Hi. I need to reduce my partition. At the moment, i can reduce it only of 14 GB. In fact, the partition is about 150 gb and is used only at 50%. When i do a "System disk daily" i can see there are unmovable files near the top of the diagram (like, in proportion, at 14gb more or less Smiley).

Is there any chance to move these files on the "bottom" ?

Let me know
BloodySword
Global Moderator
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 03:04:55 pm »

It depends on wich files are on the end of the disk. Also note, that MyDefrag's default setting will display the disk upside down. The beginning of the disk is at the bottom and the end on the top.

There will be NO chance to ever move following files:

$Logfile
$Bitmap
First sector of $MFT
$MFTMirr

Greetings from Germany!
poutnik
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 03:18:21 pm »

I had good experience in the past with Linux instalation CDs/DVDs, e.g. Mandriva.

In scenario of a single Windows partition, they trigger a GUI based partition editor
to shrink Windows partition to make place for Linux ones.

But I would advice it only for experienced users.
ChKDSK after resizing is triggered and is the must to allow it.
On Vista instalation DVD can be required.

Another option are various boot CD of Partition Managers.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 03:28:55 pm by poutnik » Logged

It can be fast, good or easy. You can pick just 2 of them....
Treating Spacehog zone by the same effort as Boot zone is like cleaning a garden by the same effort as a living room.
markzzz
JkDefrag Junior

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 03:30:42 pm »

It depends on wich files are on the end of the disk. Also note, that MyDefrag's default setting will display the disk upside down. The beginning of the disk is at the bottom and the end on the top.

There will be NO chance to ever move following files:

$Logfile
$Bitmap
First sector of $MFT
$MFTMirr

I uploaded an image : look here

The big Red is signed as pagefile.sys
the second as hyberfil.sys

I don't have other tag! I think i must move them, aint?
markzzz
JkDefrag Junior

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 04:26:58 pm »

Or maybe i can resolve this problem in provvisory modality, or during the boot of the windows?
poutnik
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 05:14:31 pm »

The big Red is signed as pagefile.sys,  the second as hyberfil.sys
I don't have other tag! I think i must move them, aint?

You can remove hyberfil.sys by disabling hibernation feature in PC power saving settings - at least temporarily until partition is resized.
For pagefile.sys you can
either disable ( also possibly temporarily ) paging in control panel - system settings in case you have enough RAM,
or by temporarily setting Paging to other disk/partition,
or by redefining pagefile.sys size e.g. by setting different size ( system will delete old and create new contiguous pagefile.sys file, best if used the lower and upper limits the same )

All need reboot AFAIK.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 05:16:50 pm by poutnik » Logged

Treating Spacehog zone by the same effort as Boot zone is like cleaning a garden by the same effort as a living room.
markzzz
JkDefrag Junior

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 05:34:35 pm »

I removed the hyberfil.sys file, and i get 1 more GB. Nice one.

But is not enough.

I re-size the pagefile, but nothing change. So there are anything else between pagefile and my data. I need to search a RED TAG from the bottom to top right?

I found that :
$Bitmap is into the blue zone (so should be ok)

The others i can't find. Before the pagefile i have some short sectors like $Extend. Maybe are those ones?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 05:38:17 pm by markzzz » Logged
chl2001
JkDefrag Senior

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 05:58:44 pm »

You can check the size of the pagefile in Control Panel > System > Advanced a couple of times to get to Pagefile settings. The size of the pagefile in each HDD is shown. That will tell you how much space the pagefile is taking. You might delete the pagefile on a drive temporarily if needed/useful.
poutnik
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 05:59:51 pm »

this could possibly help:   
SpecialFiles-HowDoIDefragmentCExtendUsnJrnlJDATA.html

How do I defragment "C:\$Extend\$UsnJrnl:$J:$DATA"?
This huge system file cannot be defragmented. It can only be deleted, see the the *  DeleteJournal command.

See also:
*  DeleteJournal
*  Frequently Asked Questions

markzzz
JkDefrag Junior

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 06:08:12 pm »

tried that fsutil usn deletejournal /n c: but i get "Error - Access Denied". And yes, i am admin Smiley
Darlis
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 07:23:03 pm »

If you still have the UAC enabled, you have to explicitly start the console (cmd.exe) as admin.

As mentioned before, you can disable the pagefile, if you have enough RAM. Just start the TaskManager and see how much RAM the system currently needs. If it is about less than 50% of your physical RAM, you shouldn't have any problems.

The Windows partition tool is not the best one and very limited. Disabling the pagefile and deleting the journal will not help much. I would recommend Linux-based tools like PartedMagic. They should do what you want. Of course you should do a backup first!

Need help creating a script? Try MyDefrag Script Creator.
jeroen
Administrator
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 08:09:56 pm »

I need to reduce my partition.
The Gnome Partition Editor can do that, it's free software, and you do not first have to move the data with MyDefrag, so there is no need to fuss over those difficult system files.
markzzz
JkDefrag Junior

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 09:05:59 pm »

With that GParted i need to do a bootable cd i see, right? Is this tool based on command-line (so i need to read a great tutorial) or there is a decent GUI?

EDIT - Funny enough : i disabled the pagefile from system, and (after a reboot) i still see the pagefile.sys when i do a short analysis with mydefrag. What's up?  Shocked
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 09:18:42 pm by markzzz » Logged
poutnik
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 10:28:12 pm »

Gparted itself is on bootable CD - provided as burnable CDimage. And yes, it has pretty decent GUI.
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/
https://sourceforge.net/projects/gparted/files/gparted-live-stable/
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 10:29:59 pm by poutnik » Logged

Darlis
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 10:52:43 pm »

If you've disabled the pagefile and it still remains, you should be able to delete it by hand. You have to make the Explorer show the system files via Extras > Folder options first, to actually see the file. Or use a Linux system like PartedMagic (I don't know if GParted has a file browser). Or maybe executing "c:> del pagefile.sys" in the console works, too.

Need help creating a script? Try MyDefrag Script Creator.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: