Intro Download and install Frequently Asked Questions Tips and tricks

Homepage

© J.C. Kessels 2009
MyDefrag Forum
April 25, 2014, 02:24:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: [Script] Optimized System Disk Scripts  (Read 27163 times)
Darlis
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« on: September 17, 2010, 09:20:32 pm »

I have tweaked the default System Disk scripts for faster processing, without reducing the performance (much).
I've also used and exported some variables to a single file (OptimizedSystemDiskVariables.MyD) for easier customization.
The package also contains compatible scripts for automatic optimization.

The changes compared to the default scripts are:
  • Gaps are not vacated while creating them to reduce unnecessary file movement
  • Directories and NTFS system files are placed at a fixed position to reduce unnecessary file movement (moving a lot of small files (like directories) is very time consuming)
  • Directories will no longer be sorted in the Daily script
  • The last zone (space hogs) will no longer be sorted in the Monthly script
  • VolumeSize is used to set the size of the gaps to stabilize the position of the zones
  • Zone 4 (Prefetch files) has been removed to stabilize the zones further, which means less work for the Daily script
  • Additionally, fonts will get sorted in the Weekly and Monthly scripts for faster access

The scripts are not 100% compatible with the default scripts! Do not use them interchangeably. (Don't forget to replace the automatic scripts too if you use them)

Happy optimizing.  Smiley

* OptimizedSystemDiskScripts_1.3.zip (9.95 KB - downloaded 1484 times.)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 07:05:59 pm by Darlis » Logged

Need help creating a script? Try MyDefrag Script Creator.
Darlis
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 01:20:29 pm »

Update:
  - Fixed: The daily and monthly scripts didn't have the ZoneEnd variable in the AddGap action, hence no gaps were created between zones.
  - Replaced VolumeFree with VolumeSize (as it was actually advertised)

z0n
JkDefrag Supporter

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 08:10:31 pm »

Thank you, Darlis. I'll give it a try.  Wink
Darlis
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 09:19:47 pm »

I've tested my optimized scripts against the MyDefrag default scripts and my scripts do indeed perform better:
http://hofmannc.de/forum/index.php?topic=25.0

boco
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 03:05:15 am »

There's a small display problem MyDefrag has with the scripts. The selection is completely empty until you resize the window. If, at the next start, the window is large enough, everything is displayed, but if you returned to original size, it's empty again.
However, if I shorten the title, default window size works from the start. Note that is a MyDefrag problem, but only showed with these scripts so far for me (longer titles). Others may be confused, so I posted it here FYI.

* before.PNG (23.01 KB, 639x500 - viewed 8632 times.)

* after.PNG (26.66 KB, 659x500 - viewed 8644 times.)

* renamed.PNG (26.61 KB, 628x500 - viewed 8652 times.)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 03:09:51 am by boco » Logged

T  hi s    Sign  a tu  re   is  q   uit  e   sor   te d  -op tim i zed  b  y desi  gn   .
Darlis
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 12:11:31 pm »

Thanks for the hint. I'll take a look at it.

antonyfrn
JkDefrag Senior

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 09:02:19 pm »

I just tested these scripts out recently and ive noticed a big improvement on booting my system. is there any plans on making other scripts for data and games drives?
Darlis
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 09:39:29 pm »

No, there won't be any optimized data disk scripts, since the content of such a disk varies greatly from user to user.
There are one or two scripts for games somewhere on the forum though, use the search function. (or take a look at my signature Wink )

rdsu
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 01:53:09 pm »

Darlis,

The daily script shouldn't have the MoveUpToZone() in Directories zone?
Darlis
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 05:11:20 pm »

You're right, it should have. I'll correct this in the next version.

Kasuha
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 09:00:09 am »

I found MoveUpToZone to behave very erratically in MyDefrag 4.3.1, especially for MFT and directories zones which usually get placed in the middle of other files. Sometimes it moves files/directories far up away and even subsequent FastFill does not move them back down.
poutnik
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 06:33:58 pm »

MoveUpToZone works unfortunately also as MoveUpFromZone.
It is wiping out all files from not yet processed zones up.

This early file vacation is rather unhappy in scenario of 2 zones close each other, with mutually mixed up files.
It is typical for boot and regular zones in vista, where layout.ini content is rather dynamic.

Files from zone 2 are massively vacated away from zone 1, but there is no place for them in zone 2.
There would be place, if it was not occupied by files from zone 1.
But these zone1 files are coming down to zone 1 later at fastfill stage, when zone2 files are already vacated up.
In the end MyDefrag realizes there are many zone2 files above zone 2 and many zone2 gaps that zone1 files have left.

Ideal would be mechanism of mutual interchanging of files between zones with "late files vacation",
when file is moved, only if I have good place for it.
But I understand it would be very hard to implement and CPU intensive.

It can be fast, good or easy. You can pick just 2 of them....
Treating Spacehog zone by the same effort as Boot zone is like cleaning a garden by the same effort as a living room.
Kasuha
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 07:31:31 pm »

I successfully "fought" MoveUpToZone issues using several scripts:
- in first pass, I use MoveUpToZone only on last zone (and no other operation)
- in second pass, I use MoveUpToZone on last two zones (and no other operation; files from last zone are already moved up se MyDefrag does no vacating when moving files up to N-1th zone)
- in N-1th pass, I use MoveUpToZone on zones 4 up (1=MFT, 2=Dirs, 3=Boot zone starting at LCN 0)
- in last pass (the "real optimization") I use SortBy to place MFT and directories ... and all the rest is already moved up so there is no issue with need to move files up. I use DoNotVacate and MoveUpToZone in each zone yet again anyway but there are very few files that need it.

The thing with zones 1 and 2 is that they are not in fixed positions in my scripts so they get completely relocated with each optimization (which I perform weekly) anyway. SortBy is the best strategy to achieve that.

There is a small issue that pre-processing scripts sometimes estimate zone somewhat higher than it really is in last pass but this space is usually used up during defragment phase so I don't consider that a big problem.

I think Jeroen was talking about the not-yet-released version of MyDefrag being able to vacate files directly to where their respective zones are estimated to be so that should get rid of this kind of problems once it is released.
poutnik
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 09:00:48 pm »

I see we had similar idea about multistage scripting, but I have not realized it yet.
It is easy to manage with my universal script, can be called form the single batch file.

I am not sure I would going to sort such dynamic zones. Smiley

It can be fast, good or easy. You can pick just 2 of them....
Treating Spacehog zone by the same effort as Boot zone is like cleaning a garden by the same effort as a living room.
theantagonizer
JkDefrag Senior

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2011, 09:54:49 pm »

Grin Thanks for these scripts, solved a couple things on my TODO list for my scripts! Your the best

Ant
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: