Intro Download and install Frequently Asked Questions Tips and tricks

Homepage

© J.C. Kessels 2009
MyDefrag Forum
November 21, 2014, 03:08:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MyDefrag Portable at PortableApps.com  (Read 6535 times)
JohnTHaller

View Profile
« on: September 07, 2010, 05:10:50 pm »

Hi Jeroen et al.  I'm John T. Haller, the lead developer over at PortableApps.com.  Some time ago we repackaged JkDefrag for portable use on USB flash drives in our open portable format along with a custom GUI we made.  When MyDefrag first came out, we were only supporting open source software, so we couldn't do a portable version of it.

Now, however, we're repackaging freeware for portable use in our open format (which works by itself or with our Platform and updater).  We work with the publishers and get permission first, of course, and have been working with XNView, FreeCommander, TeamViewer, 2X and lots of other folks.  We'd like to do a portable version of MyDefrag packaged in PortableApps.com Format.  There would be no changes to MyDefrag itself.  We'd move its settings around and support portablization of scripts (drive letter changes as you move PCs, etc) when and if needed using our open source PA.c Launcher.

The license seems to allow for this, but I wanted to make sure it was permitted before we release the first test version.  And to see if there's anything else you'd like done for the portable version.

Kind Regards,
John
BloodySword
Global Moderator
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 08:54:46 am »

Wow, great idea. But I wanted to point out, that MyDefrag needs low level disk access permission and so administrator rights are required. But due to the group policy, even a administrator might not have rights to use the defragmentation api on Windows NT based systems. You should point this out in the description of JK and MyDefrag Portableapps package.

Greetings from Germany!
jeroen
Administrator
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 08:55:17 am »

Thank you very much for your interest, I appreciate it. I'm not sure about PortableApps distributions, but I think basically what you would do is include only the "MyDefrag.exe" program, as described on the "How to use MyDefrag from a bootable CD-ROM or memory stick?" page? I am sorry, but that is not allowed by the MyDefrag license. It only allows for re-distribution of the full and unchanged MyDefrag package (the file you download from this website). It is allowed to super-repackage, for example by building a package containing some other files plus the full and unchanged MyDefrag distribution.

But perhaps you are willing to consider the following. If you would construct a sample PortableApps distribution and send it to me, then I am willing to evaluate it and make it an official MyDefrag distribution. Give it my stamp of approval, so to say. That way the license would be satisfied, it would be an official MyDefrag distribution and I would publish it for download on the MyDefrag website. However, I will need to be able to completely reconstruct the PortableApps distribution, so I will need a copy of whatever source files that are used. Only in this way will I be able to guarantee the contents of the distribution. Also, it will enable me to build a new PortableApps distribution as and when I release a new MyDefrag version. What do you think, would it be possible to do it like this?

I think there are several people here on the MyDefrag forum that will be interested in participating in this project. Such as helping to develop the special MyDefrag scripts that you mentioned, and betatesting.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: