Intro Download and install Frequently Asked Questions Tips and tricks

Homepage

© J.C. Kessels 2009
MyDefrag Forum
March 03, 2015, 11:34:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Add a option to put the log in other file  (Read 10396 times)
AntonioCalvo
« on: November 04, 2006, 11:51:16 am »

Now the log "falls" in the folder with defrag.exe .
A option to put the file in other location will be handy
jeroen
Administrator
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 05:39:04 pm »

Thank you very much for your suggestion, it's appreciated. I have put it on my wishlist. I personally like to keep all the files of an application together, including logfiles, so I have no use for this option myself. But I know that other people like to keep logfiles and data and stuff on a separate partition so that the system disk cannot get full.
Petter
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 09:39:53 pm »

Is there any way to disable the log entirely?
jeroen
Administrator
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 03:05:01 am »

No, the log cannot be disabled, unless you make a custom version. Why would you want to disable the log? It doesn't take all that much diskspace, and if you don't have a log then you won't have it when you need it. I find it very handy on lights-out servers, to check if the scheduler has run the defragger.
blue
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 11:15:55 am »

if the purpose of the log file is to check that the schedduler has run the defrag, you can suppress it since you have eventvwr (windows) or message (linux) to tell you if it has ran ok or not.

it should be fine to have a /nolog switch for those who don't want a log file (as i whish)  :wink:
jeroen
Administrator
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2006, 07:14:50 am »

The Windows scheduler only writes a message to the eventlog when it cannot run a program. There are no messages about crashes or about succesful completion. And I want to know! Secondly, there are other ways to start the defragger, and most of them do not write anything to the eventlog at all.

And I still don't see why turning off the logging might be useful. If you don't use the log then simply ignore it. Are you guys concerned about the logfile growing to infinity? It doesn't, the defragger automatically deletes the old contents on startup. This isn't clear from the website, I'll add some text about this.
blue
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2006, 11:15:10 am »

i know you have been smart enough to do not append log each time the prog is used (it's obvious that it's not a good idea)  so you don't have to add some text about this  :wink:

So i'm not concerned about growing stuff, it's just that i don't see why i can't be free to haven't the right of not having a log if i don't want it. (i'm also coding and i know how it's frustrating when some one hasn't the same point of you of how doing things, but since you release your stuff to people, you got to hear them  :wink: )

On top of that, in the case of a live CD (PE things), where the ram drive is quite small and is used to unpack some big progs that need to have write access, each extra piece of free space is important.
And, it make things more complicated to use your prog because it is located on a read only cd so we must use extra option to redirect log file to a writable space.

Hope i'm clear and that i don't sound to "rude" since english is not my native language. (i just wish to give ideas so that your prog become better)
jeroen
Administrator
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2006, 05:28:29 pm »

Quote from: "blue"
it make things more complicated to use your prog because it is located on a read only cd so we must use extra option to redirect log file to a writable space.

Ah, running the defragger from a read-only CD. I haven't thought of that, just human you know. Yes, now I agree that turning of the logfile can be useful. I've put it on my wishlist.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: