Intro Download and install Frequently Asked Questions Tips and tricks

Homepage

© J.C. Kessels 2009
MyDefrag Forum
October 23, 2014, 04:01:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Driving Directions not working. working  (Read 3210 times)
richarddnn

View Profile
« on: June 11, 2010, 09:36:50 pm »

The driving direction button on the customer info page is no longer working with Yahoo maps. Yahoo has changed something. Can we get it fixed or rather get an option to submit to the url of our choice. Then if something changes in the future we could fix it or switch to google maps or the like.

WHRoeder
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 03:46:52 am »

The driving direction button on the customer info page is no longer working with Yahoo maps.
I'll bite, what does Yahoo or any other website have to do with defragging files on a PC?
BloodySword
Global Moderator
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 10:50:42 am »

It's a spambot. Look at the signature. But nobody believes me...

Greetings from Germany!
boco
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 10:55:32 am »

It's a spambot. Look at the signature. But nobody believes me...
I do, Bloody buddy. It's the same over at FileZilla forums, I usually ban up to 10 spambots daily.

T  hi s    Sign  a tu  re   is  q   uit  e   sor   te d  -op tim i zed  b  y desi  gn   .
BloodySword
Global Moderator
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 11:07:35 am »

Do you ban them when they have posted some junk or before? Jeroen bans them after they posted junk.

Greetings from Germany!
boco
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 04:22:27 pm »

They usually post their junk right away. It has become much harder to distinguish normal users from spambots. The latest hype is signature spam (as you can see). Usually I first remove the spam signature (or the whole post if it is crap), then issue a warning. Should the spam repeat, ban. Bots that can be clearly identified as such (posting 200 spam links each in 50 topics for example) I ban right away: Username and email permanently, IP for one month*.

*IPs are not inherently "evil", they are just abused. For this reason, I don't ban IPs permanently.

T  hi s    Sign  a tu  re   is  q   uit  e   sor   te d  -op tim i zed  b  y desi  gn   .
BloodySword
Global Moderator
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 04:58:29 pm »

Mhh I would not ban IPs because they are changing. In germany every connect you get another IP depending on the line you have rent. One month is a bit long... And the bots will also have another IP everytime they appear I think.

Greetings from Germany!
poutnik
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 06:17:06 pm »

Mhh I would not ban IPs because they are changing. In germany every connect you get another IP depending on the line you have rent. One month is a bit long... And the bots will also have another IP everytime they appear I think.
OTOH many users with ISP not providing public IP are sharing IP of ISP router.

It can be fast, good or easy. You can pick just 2 of them....
Treating Spacehog zone by the same effort as Boot zone is like cleaning a garden by the same effort as a living room.
BloodySword
Global Moderator
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 06:33:09 pm »

In germany I do not know such ISP... Is it unique for USA or something other?

Greetings from Germany!
poutnik
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 06:37:41 pm »

In germany I do not know such ISP... Is it unique for USA or something other?
Now it is not so common here,
but in previous years it was very usual in Czech republic not to have own public IP ( unless extra paid for it).
And - I just guess - if using GSM connection it still applies.
Edit: If you were using P2P DC hub based network, if anybody from such your ISP was banned, you could get banned too.
Unless you had registered nick.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 06:39:57 pm by poutnik » Logged

It can be fast, good or easy. You can pick just 2 of them....
Treating Spacehog zone by the same effort as Boot zone is like cleaning a garden by the same effort as a living room.
BloodySword
Global Moderator
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2010, 06:49:59 pm »

I heared about that germany is a country wich has the cheapest ISPs. The internet would be very cheap in germany. I have to say that it is much cheaper then in USA. But this might change. But I heared about Estonia, that their constitutional law says that anybody has the droit to have at least a DSL 2000 connection. This means 256 KB/s downstream and 20 KB/s upstream. And that free of charge! Even if I say that DSL 2000 is much too slow for me, I would be very pleased if I would get a free connection for my mobile systems ;o). Better than nothing, uh?

Back to topic of IP: Thats one of some reason to avoid banning users by IP.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 06:51:36 pm by BloodySword » Logged

Greetings from Germany!
boco
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2010, 09:47:04 pm »

Yes, some (especially cheap) ISPs use VPNs, where users share the same IP. This has many disadvantages, like not having full control over the network.

IP bans should be of temporary nature, because some users have to use proxies (Great Firewall of China, anyone?), or connect from intranets routed through one router only.

But it is a great feeling when you catch a bot "In flagrante delicto" and boot it's @ss, believe me.

J.O.A.T.
JkDefrag Senior

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 12:39:11 pm »

I pay ~$32 USD/month for my 100/100 Mbit, no caps at all.

A nifty trick to detect spam-bot registrations is to add 2 captcha input-boxes, and the first one is set to be hidden.
If you are using an ordinary browser you don't see it but bots usually fill it in.
BloodySword
Global Moderator
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 12:43:35 pm »

Wich provider do you use?

Greetings from Germany!
J.O.A.T.
JkDefrag Senior

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2010, 12:52:11 pm »

I should add that I live in Sweden and I have Bredbandsbolaget as my provider.
There are even cheaper alternatives, a friend of mine also have 100/100 but he only pays ~$12/month.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: