Intro Download and install Frequently Asked Questions Tips and tricks

Homepage

© J.C. Kessels 2009
MyDefrag Forum
April 24, 2014, 03:24:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MyDefrag Scripts: Win7 TaskScheduler Problem  (Read 1429 times)
achr

View Profile
« on: May 18, 2010, 07:53:28 am »

Hi there,

I recently installed MyDefrag on my office machine. I initially wanted to use the scripting stuff for automated defrag with help of the Win7 Task Scheduler.

I had a look at the FAQ and found this:

http://www.mydefrag.com/FAQUsing-HowCanIRunMyDefragAutomaticallyEveryDay.html
Vista

* Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Task Scheduler
    * In the program select "Create Basic Task".
    * When asked to select a "Program/Script" select the "*.MyD" script that you want to run, for example "c:\Program Files\MyDefrag v4.2.9\Scripts\OptimizeDaily.MyD". Leave the arguments and "start in" fields empty.

As my machine is connected to a Domain server, and my default user hasn't sufficient right to execute the script, I opend the properties page of the task and set in "security options" the admin user who is allowed to run this tool. I also configured to "Run whether user is logged on or not", because it might be the case that I'm still logged on with my work-user when the daily optimize script should run...

I tried to test the task by right-clickin on it and chose from context menu "run" to run it NOW.
The "status" is just showing "running". But no MyDefrag window is coming up, no message is popping up and no MyDefrag process is visible in TaskManager.

What's wrong?!

br,
Alex

[update]

If I do not change the user that is used to run the task, then it works. But as my standard-user hasn't sufficient rights, a dialog will popup, asking for admin credentials. That I want to prevent with explicitly specifying the admin user in the task settings. But as soon as I change the user, it's not working anymore... *strange problem*
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 08:17:48 am by achr » Logged
jonib
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 10:12:45 am »

I tried to test the task by right-clickin on it and chose from context menu "run" to run it NOW.
The "status" is just showing "running". But no MyDefrag window is coming up, no message is popping up and no MyDefrag process is visible in TaskManager.

What's wrong?!
When using another user to run MyDefrag via the task scheduler, I think it's normal to not see the MyDefrag window. The process should be visible if you can see all processes.

You can check the MyDefrag.log file to see if MyDefrag is running normally.

jonib

achr

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 11:08:56 am »

As I said ... There is no MyDefrag process. Not for my user, and not for the admin user. MyDefrag is not running at all.
jeroen
Administrator
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 02:18:32 pm »

But no MyDefrag window is coming up, no message is popping up
This is normal. Windows will only show the window of a program on the desktop if the program is running on the same userid as the desktop.

and no MyDefrag process is visible in TaskManager.
This is not normal. It must mean that MyDefrag is either not started at all, or finishes very quickly. Either way, it is not a MyDefrag problem, because you say it runs normally if you do not specify a userid. It is a Windows problem, probably something to do with permissions. For example, perhaps the MyDefrag folder cannot be accessed by your "admin" userid. Maybe you can find the solution with the information in the MyDefrag debuglogfile, see I have a problem! for instructions.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: