Intro Download and install Frequently Asked Questions Tips and tricks

Homepage

© J.C. Kessels 2009
MyDefrag Forum
September 19, 2014, 04:48:05 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gratitude  (Read 2410 times)
GippleDocks
JkDefrag Supporter

View Profile
« on: June 27, 2007, 01:56:38 pm »

Jeroen,

I must compliment you, not only for producing a very good product but also for sharing it gratis with us all.  I feel that your control of it as a personal project rather than as a collaborative project keeps a sharper focus on worthwhile functions and avoids wasted effort.

About the product itself I would say that in my opinion its features already exceed all free and most commercial defraggers.  You would only have to add layout.ini support and a boot mode defrag to equal the best defraggers available.  Your idea to create a script interface to give users fine control over file placement would surely perfect the product.

Then at that point Roxio, O & O and the rest should look for other business opportunities ;-)

I do hope that the big boys don't make you an offer you can't refuse.
jeroen
Administrator
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 06:54:16 pm »

Thank you very much for your nice message, I appreciate it! Not everybody takes the time to register and then type in such a long and nice message. Thanks!

But you have hit on a bit of a moral dilemma with me. JkDefrag started out as just a little utility that I needed for myself. It did about the same as the free Windows defragger. But it is growing and is slowly becoming a serious alternative for the commercial defraggers. I see several cowboy companies playing fast and loose with my library, putting a little shell around it and then selling it for exorbitant prices (there are also some decent companies that give me full credit, not a bad word about them!).

So I have a problem continuing along this road. Giving away a small utility that is only useful to a small set of users is one thing, but putting several companies out of business is quite another. And I certainly don't want to play into the hands of cowboys. I'm not very political and I don't want to get into a discussion about economic systems and capitalism and stuff. All I know is that it just feels wrong to me.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: