Intro Download and install Frequently Asked Questions Tips and tricks

Homepage

© J.C. Kessels 2009
MyDefrag Forum
November 26, 2014, 05:03:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Directories position  (Read 2757 times)
cris
JkDefrag Supporter

View Profile
« on: June 26, 2007, 10:17:32 pm »

In a system that is not often defragmented, where you run jkDefrag with option -a 7 and that is subjected to addition and DELETION of directories, the best place to put the directory is just before the files in the directory instead of having them at the beginning of the disk.
You may provide an option to do that.

-Cris
jeroen
Administrator
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 10:50:03 pm »

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I appreciate it! But I'm afraid I have to disagree. If a program requests a file then the operating system has to walk through all the lower directories (starting at the root of the disk) to find the requested file. In your scenario the harddisk would have to jump all over the place. If the directories are all together at the beginning of the disk then finding a file is much faster. This is why on NTFS all directories are in 1 big file called the MFT (Master File Table). They are not separate entities on disk such as files, and cannot be moved to just before their files. It would be possible on FAT, but the same reasons apply and it is better to place all directories together.

p.s. The next version of JkDefrag will have a scripting language that will make just about anything possible, including placing the directories just before their files.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: