Intro Download and install Frequently Asked Questions Tips and tricks

Homepage

© J.C. Kessels 2009
MyDefrag Forum
November 28, 2014, 11:37:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Directories closer to MFT  (Read 15507 times)
rdsu
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« on: June 09, 2007, 12:50:14 pm »

Hi Jeroen,

We already talked that MFT should be at the beginning of disk like Windows put at the installation, but if a user try to use JkDefrag to improve its system, and doesn't have the MFT on that place, why not improve also its system by putting the directories closer to MFT, since with that the user will have better performance?

Regards
jeroen
Administrator
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 05:34:28 pm »

Thanks for your suggestion, I appreciate it! I am hoping to add a small scripting language to version 4 of JkDefrag, and then you will be able to move the directories to any place on disk you like.
rdsu
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 05:49:20 pm »

Nice Smiley
rdsu
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 01:06:27 am »

Jeroen,

When you say that, on installation, Windows put the MFT at the beginning of the disk, you are referring only to "C:\$MFT", or also to the reserved space for MFT?

Regards
jeroen
Administrator
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 01:44:16 am »

Both the MFT and the reserved space.
rdsu
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 11:16:14 am »

My Hard Disk Manager, from Paragon Software Group, defraged my MFT and put the $MFT at the beginning and the space reserved after all the files on disk...

Is this bad?
jeroen
Administrator
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 11:51:09 am »

It's a bit silly that NTFS still reserves 12.5% by default, a number that comes from an era where harddisks were a lot smaller. On an average computer the MFT takes maybe 200 megabytes. Reserving some space so that it can grow without getting fragmented is a good idea, but reserving 12.5% on a 250 gigabyte harddisk is 31 gigabytes (31000 megabytes).... more than 150 times the size of the MFT on an average computer.

So I think it's actually pretty smart of your disk manager to put the reserved space at the end. It's unlikely (although not impossible) that it will be used. And the manager can defrag the MFT? Then it's no problem even if happens.
rdsu
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2007, 12:07:10 pm »

Yes, it can Smiley

This Manager can do anything with the disk...  Cheesy
It also defrags all the offline files and online files...
For online files you can even choose, enabled by default, to put the directories first, and choose to defrag by sort...

Take a look:
Paragon Hard Disk Manager Professional or Paragon Hard Disk Manager Personal
JDPower
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2007, 02:48:54 pm »

Quote from: "VaMPiRiC_CRoW"

There is also a free download of Paragon HD Manager available here:

http://www.computeractive.co.uk/hdmanager8/index (ignore the offer expiry date, it still downloads and can still be registered via the link on that page)
rdsu
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2007, 03:24:17 pm »

Nice find Wink
jeroen
Administrator
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2007, 03:41:47 pm »

Quote from: "VaMPiRiC_CRoW"
It also defrags all the offline files and online files...

JkDefrag can also defrag offline volumes. Just specify the name on the commandline.

Quote from: "JDPower"

I cannot download...
JDPower
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2007, 03:56:46 pm »

Quote from: "jeroen"
Quote from: "JDPower"

I cannot download...

Still working, just tried it again myself. The download link is near the bottom - in quite small letters it says 'Download now'
jeroen
Administrator
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2007, 06:28:27 pm »

Yes, that's where I clicked. Tried it again now, and now it works. Thanks! Not that I need it, I already have a very nice defragger.... :wink:
rdsu
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2007, 06:57:14 pm »

They are completely different applications, but at least you can use their offline defrag...
JDPower
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2007, 02:37:40 am »

Quote from: "jeroen"
Not that I need it, I already have a very nice defragger.... :wink:

Its main functions are not defragging though, its mainly a partitioning program but does other stuff to (like defragging the MFT which I wasn't aware of till now as I've yet to try it out):
Basic and Advanced Partitioning: Resize, move, hide, merge, restore and convert partitions without data loss. Enhance your computer performance safely and quickly, convert file systems, defragment partitions and optimize their cluster size.

Complete Backup and Restore: continuous disk-based data and system backup and fast restore even from bare-metal state. Automate operation routines of almost any complexity. In addition to basic backup/restore functionality, Hard Disk Manager provides wide range of advanced features such as Differential, Synthetic and Synchronous backup.

Powerful Recovery: Recovery Media is a bootable CD containing full functionality of the program and additionally offering full access to all partitions on local hard drives. Even in case of unbootable system you can boot machine from Recovery CD, access important documents and copy them in secure place, fix crashed operating system with special tool or perform any operation.

Secure Disk Wiping: completely erase a whole hard disk, a separate partition or just clean free space. It guarantees secure and easy erasure of your critical data, so as it cannot be recovered with any present-day technology. (available in corporate editions only) (Wiping functionality has been disabled in this release because it hasnít been tested under Windows Vista yet. This functionality will be included in a nearest free update)
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: