Intro Download and install Frequently Asked Questions Tips and tricks

Homepage

© J.C. Kessels 2009
MyDefrag Forum
October 26, 2014, 09:27:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 times more fragmented files after "Optimize monthly" defragmentation?!  (Read 4366 times)
dabopoj

View Profile
« on: December 14, 2009, 04:29:37 pm »

Hi,

I did a full "Optimize Monthly" defragmentation on my C: Windows disk (FAT32). The disk had been defragmented and optimized by SmartDefrag and Auslogics Disk Defrag before that.

The result is: I have 10 times more fragmented files than before!?
Before - around 200, and after - around 2000.

What is going on? Both the above mentioned defraggers give me a majority of red blocks (fragmented files) on Analyze, and MyDefrag itself gives only yellow space.

Thank you,

Dobromir
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 04:31:54 pm by dabopoj » Logged
Kasuha
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 04:47:56 pm »

Which file system do you use? FAT or NTFS?
Which tool do you use to determine fragmentation after MyDefrag did its work? Did you consider wrap-around fragmentation?
dabopoj

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 05:09:21 pm »

The disk is FAT32.

The result of Analysis with

Auslogics Disk Defrag
http://www.picvalley.net/v.php?p=u/1890/16300980445671100551260806749kcafFeUcgNDsxwQZXYQp.JPG

SmartDefrag
http://www.picvalley.net/v.php?p=u/2101/17348165147673529101260806867iVjZ0p0kaYdtcpgl0jDK.JPG

MyDefrag
http://www.picvalley.net/v.php?p=u/2808/45057902413782384121260806933rD6mZ6VfrWLSu312DC6N.JPG

This is AFTER a complete "Optimize Monthly" job.

Kasuha
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 05:37:19 pm »

FAT systems are special in that the Windows API refuses to move directories on them, greatly fragmenting the disk "usable" space. MyDefrag can compensate for that with wrap-around fragmentation which might look like files are fragmented to other disk optimizers. But your image does not really fit that category.

Looking at the picture, I don't really understand how can this result from a finished Optimize Monthly script, that's not its usual output. Did you do any changes to the scripts? Which version of MyDefrag did you use? My guess is the algorithm ran out of disk space somewhere or something similar. It could be useful to see MyDefrag.dat and MyDefrag.debuglog files.

For reference, try to run Optimize Weekly or Optimize Daily scripts, it's possible they will give you better results.
dabopoj

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 05:56:44 pm »

> Did you do any changes to the scripts?

No.

> Which version of MyDefrag did you use?

I guess I won't be switching to MyDefrag. These results are really disturbing.
Another thing which bothers me is having to upgrade to XP SP3, to avoid risking data loss on NTFS partitions.

Thanks anyway,

Dobromir
Henno
JkDefrag Senior

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 09:28:42 pm »

Why don't you convert the FAT32 partition to NTFS?
It has way more pro's then con's.

reg, Henno.
jeroen
Administrator
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 03:03:43 am »

I have 10 times more fragmented files than before!?
I agree with Kasuha, your snapshot is very strange if indeed it is just after a monthly optimize.

p.s. See the first bullit on the Why does MyDefrag not perfectly optimize my disk? for info about wrap-around fragmentation.

p.s. Perhaps you have run MyDefrag on a userid that does not have write permissions on the MyDefrag directory? In that case MyDefrag cannot save it's list of unmovable files, and analysis cannot properly show wrap-around fragmentation.
dabopoj

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 06:46:27 am »

Okay, as far as I understand, wrap-around fragmentation is the default setting for all scripts but DefragOnly, is that correct? If so, the script I've used has applied it anyway.

Can someone, please, show me what a "normal" picture would look like after a monthly optimize?

I don't know if this is relevant, but I used a portable version of MyDefragGUI before I installed MyDefrag. I didn't do any defragmenting, just analysis, but maybe that has messed with the registry which is now interfering with MyDefrag, is that possible?
Darlis
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 01:52:43 pm »

Okay, as far as I understand, wrap-around fragmentation is the default setting for all scripts but DefragOnly, is that correct?
Yes.

Can someone, please, show me what a "normal" picture would look like after a monthly optimize?
You can find a picture here: http://www.mydefrag.com/index.html
After finishing optimization, everything (or the majority) should be green. Did you had a lot of red?

I don't know if this is relevant, but I used a portable version of MyDefragGUI before I installed MyDefrag. I didn't do any defragmenting, just analysis, but maybe that has messed with the registry which is now interfering with MyDefrag, is that possible?
If you started MyDefrag directly, then there shouldn't be a problem.

Need help creating a script? Try MyDefrag Script Creator.
jeroen
Administrator
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 03:57:35 pm »

I used a portable version of MyDefragGUI before I installed MyDefrag.
Well, that could explain the fragments, yes. As I said before if MyDefrag cannot write a file in it's directory then the analysis display will show a lot of fragmentation.

maybe that has messed with the registry
No, not possible.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: