Intro Download and install Frequently Asked Questions Tips and tricks

Homepage

© J.C. Kessels 2009
MyDefrag Forum
April 18, 2014, 11:40:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Nice Gui !  (Read 4614 times)
andublin
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« on: November 11, 2009, 06:29:08 pm »

I caught a reference on another thread to Ultimate Defrag 2008. I know nothing of the merits of the product, but a nice GUI on V3 !

* UltimateDefrag3.jpg (862.49 KB, 1681x1022 - viewed 569 times.)
BloodySword
Global Moderator
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 06:33:43 pm »

Interesting visualization but I think this is something to earn more interest to sell more of this program. I hate comercial products.

Greetings from Germany!
andublin
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 06:57:36 pm »

This part of the forum is "Requests for new features". Sorry for not being clear in my text.
This could be a nice visual representation in MyDefrag.
BloodySword
Global Moderator
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 07:24:39 pm »

Yes that might be. But is it legal to "copy" this feature?
I think alternative visualizations are quite interesting. I would like to see an option to turn on blended pixels.
So if pixel represents more than one cluster, the pixel colors could be blended together.
Also a optional block view would be nice, too. This would asset the relation of MyDefrag Smiley.
JK could make use of the SDL-Library to get hardware acclegated graphics. GDI+ is not an option
as this would break the portability of MyDefrag wich is now stand-alone because it uses common Windows DLL.

Edit: I think the MyDefrag solution of this HDD disk view could be drawn with partially circles instead of lines.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 07:30:39 pm by BloodySword » Logged

Greetings from Germany!
antikythera
JkDefrag Senior

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 08:41:04 pm »

I'm not a fan of colour blending and it would also be copying another already implemented design (O&O defrag).

function should always take precedence over form and if you end up with something which looks awesome as a result then all the better. however having a round map or shaded pixels just because they look nice and it can be done is not really a good reason for the extra work involved creating them surely.

I like the current map which is quick and easy to read.
BloodySword
Global Moderator
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 08:50:11 pm »

Then you could say that no map at all would be the best sollutuion. But the motto "I'm finished if I'm finished" is totally anoying. Whith the map you can not only see
how the files are moved, you can guess the actual process and how long it would take.

Color blending seems not to be partented, though. TuneUp defrag also use this display technology.

With the cycle-disc-view the user can gues why the HDD is faster on the first tracks than on the last tracks. I have an idea: This display type is somewhat confusing. It sees a partition as a single disk. But this is not the case.

Greetings from Germany!
jeroen
Administrator
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 09:01:30 pm »

This part of the forum is "Requests for new features". Sorry for not being clear in my text.
This could be a nice visual representation in MyDefrag.
Thanks for sharing your idea, I appreciate it. I already have it on my wishlist to make more versions of the diskmap, a circular map is also there.

p.s. I have to point out that the example that you have shown is not a correct representation of the disk. Harddisks have far more tracks than is shown in that image. It is just a gimmick.
Henno
JkDefrag Senior

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 09:41:20 pm »

Interesting visualization but I think this is something to earn more interest to sell more of this program. I hate comercial products.

BlutendesSchwert, du quatscht zu viel...
 Kiss

gruss, Henno.
BloodySword
Global Moderator
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 09:46:41 am »

@Henno: Tut mir Leid  Grin

I'm looking forward when JK is implementing some new visualizations. I think it could take much time because another things like the screensaver fix is more important.

Greetings from Germany!
Thaliur
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 12:08:02 pm »

Maybe there's a way to create a GUI interface for MyDefrag? Something like a set of commands or variables that can be used by third-party-modules (much like visualisation plugins for Audio players like Winamp).

MyDefrag could just provide a certain set of commands, and these get picked up by another process which then creates the graphic representation of the disk.
Basically, everything that gets sent to the diskmap display module (if it is actually programmed in a modular fashion) would then be sent to some other process, possibly stored in some dll file.
That way, users with the right tools/knowledge could create command handlers to display the diskmap any way they like.

To summarize my idea:
MyDefrag could just send the analysis results to the display plugin ("file x is y bytes in size, and situated at LCNs z to w"...), which then stores this information, using it to build a diskmap image according to rules the oplugin creator set up.
Then, during defragmentation, MyD sends out messages like "I'm moving file x to LCN y" or "file x seems to be unmovable", as well as information about current zones (FileSelect ruleset, fragmentation status...), and the plugin updates its information set according to these messages.

I think that would really work, and if MyD is in fact a modular program (which I beleive it to be) it should be pretty easy to implement this.
jeroen
Administrator
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 03:28:32 pm »

Maybe there's a way to create a GUI interface for MyDefrag?
It's an interesting idea and technically it should be possible, yes. I'm not sure it will be practical, though, because MyDefrag takes a lot of CPU (sometimes) and a complicated diskmap might make the program too slow to be useful. But it's an interesting idea, and I have put it on the wishlist for future implementation.
Thaliur
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 08:32:12 pm »

MyDefrag takes a lot of CPU (sometimes) and a complicated diskmap might make the program too slow to be useful.
That depends on the user's preference I think. If someone uses a fancy diskmap, they would probably expect fancy CPU usage. Theoretically speaking, if someone wants a pretty diskmap, the diskmap will be visible, so the computer will most likely not be in use. Maybe it could be written in such a way that the diskmap generator goes to some kind of standby mode as soon as the window is minimized.

And MyD's CPU load is not unbearable. Unless there's a very large, heavily fragmented file it usually stays below 20% (edit: on my system. Maybe I'm just lucky or didn't use CPU-eating functions), and the diskmapping process could possibly be executed in a seperate thread, so the CPU load could be split up betweeen multiple CPUs, since most modern systems have at least two of them. Son't let inferior computers get in the way of progress Wink

Besides, the new diskmaps won't necessarily be more CPU-hungry than the current one, they just could be. It wouldn't need to be a TRON style floating-boxes animation (although that would be great Smiley )
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 10:22:37 pm by Thaliur » Logged
cg
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2009, 09:01:30 pm »

It wouldn't need to be a TRON style floating-boxes animation (although that would be great Smiley )

I want....  Smiley
Mohaine
JkDefrag Supporter

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2009, 01:40:55 am »

The way the program represents the disk map could well be important to "hook" people in to using the program.  I know I'm not alone in enjoying watching the almost hypnotic dance of the moving files leaving behind a nice clean disk, and it is one of the things I like about MyDefrag (after the control the program gives, of course).  If you implement more options for diskmaps you are more likely to make the program appealing to more people.
kingsdave
JkDefrag Junior

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2009, 01:51:18 am »

I think little gnomes moving colored bricks would be the way to go!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: