Intro Download and install Frequently Asked Questions Tips and tricks

Homepage

© J.C. Kessels 2009
MyDefrag Forum
October 25, 2014, 01:36:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: pagefile.sys and hiberfile.sys  (Read 4223 times)
bimmerdriver
JkDefrag Junior

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2009, 02:05:27 am »

I've been trying to use MydDefrag to consolidate freespace to create space for Windows XP to create unfragmented pagefile.sys and hiberfile.sys. What an exercise in frustration! I used contig to create a large junk file that left enough space for hiberfile.sys, then used ForceTogether to move all of the files toward the beginning of the drive so Windows would create hiberfile.sys at the end of the drive. No matter how many times I ran ForceTogether, I could not get freespace to have no fragments. According to MyDefrag, the freespace was split into several parts, usually with a block in right the middle. I couldn't find any allocated clusters with MyDefrag. I tried using Defraggler, but it couldn't find any allocated either, except it did reveal that MyDefrag was fragmenting the freespace with the log files. (It would be nice if it would clean up one last time after the log files are written.) After several attempts at this, I gave up and deleted the junk file to make a large area, then let Windows created pagefile.sys and hiberfile.sys where it wanted to. It's unfortunately pretty stupid as it often creates the files in an area with allocated clusters even though there is plenty of freespace elsewhere on the drive. It would be very nice if MyDefrag would make this task easier (or alternatively if it could defragment the files).
jeroen
Administrator
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 08:46:37 am »

It would be very nice if MyDefrag would make this task easier (or alternatively if it could defragment the files).
Thanks for sharing your experience, I appreciate it. Yes, it would be nice if Windows would allow the pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys to be defragmented and moved by MyDefrag. And a couple of other system files. Things have slowly gotten better accross the various Windows versions, the Microsoft defragmentation API on Vista for example allows many more system files to be handled than on Windows 2000. By the way, Vista can move the pagefile in certain cases, for example when booted from cdrom.
ewieldra
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 09:58:00 pm »

PageDefrag from former Sysinternals, now Microsoft can do it for Windows NT/2000/2003/XP 32 Bits never understood why microsoft did not implement it into Windows itself

Best Regards,

Emiel Wieldraaijer

Download JkDefragGUI from http://www.wieldraaijer.nl
quanthero
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 10:14:28 pm »

PageDefrag from former Sysinternals, now Microsoft can do it for Windows NT/2000/2003/XP 32 Bits never understood why microsoft did not implement it into Windows itself

Does anyone know a way to make PageDefrag work on Vista?
St.Trinity
JkDefrag Supporter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 08:47:59 am »

PageDefrag don't work on Vista.
Sommebody can tell us a Program like PageDefrag but for Vista Sad
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 11:24:15 am by St.Trinity » Logged
antikythera
JkDefrag Senior

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 12:03:35 pm »

PageDefrag don't work on Vista.
Sommebody can tell us a Program like PageDefrag but for Vista Sad

another option is to disable the pagefile and/or hibernation. make sure it is deleted after rebooting the pc. then defrag. afterwards re-enable the pagefile and/or hibernation. this works with at least 1Gb physical memory. or you could use a BartPE of windows XP SP3 to defragment your hard drive using MyDefrag on a USB stick. either method works great for these normally locked out files and won't cause any damage.
Darlis
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 12:53:11 pm »

Jeroen made some FAQ entries for these files:    
How do I defragment "C:\pagefile.sys" (the swapfile)?
and How do I defragment "C:\hiberfil.sys"?.

If you give the pagefile a fixed size, you will never have to defragment this file again.

Need help creating a script? Try MyDefrag Script Creator.
bimmerdriver
JkDefrag Junior

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 09:37:33 pm »

another option is to disable the pagefile and/or hibernation. make sure it is deleted after rebooting the pc. then defrag. afterwards re-enable the pagefile and/or hibernation. this works with at least 1Gb physical memory. or you could use a BartPE of windows XP SP3 to defragment your hard drive using MyDefrag on a USB stick. either method works great for these normally locked out files and won't cause any damage.
I tried removing and recreating these files. However, Windows XP is exceedingly stupid when it comes to recreating these files. It's almost as if it looks for an allocated cluster to wrap the files around. I first tried to use contig and ForceTogether to make a space at the end of the drive. Unfortunately, as soon as MyDefrag exits, the drive starts to fragment again. I tried several times and there was often a cluster allocated right in the middle of the freespace. When that didn't work, I left a larger freespace, but Windows would always jam pagefile.sys or hiberfile.sys against the fragmented region, with the result that the files were fragmented. PageDefrag can be used to defragment pagefile.sys, but it seems to require enough freespace to create a new copy. It won't defragment hiberfile.sys.

It would be really nice if there were system calls that MyDefrag could use to create these files after a suitable location was allocated. There's a good idea for a new feature.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: