Intro Download and install Frequently Asked Questions Tips and tricks

Homepage

© J.C. Kessels 2009
MyDefrag Forum
December 22, 2014, 11:41:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: [Tool] MyDefrag Menu Tools  (Read 30230 times)
jonib
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« on: October 03, 2009, 01:48:37 am »

I have made this tool in response to this thread Display location of a specific file (or files) on diskmap.

It's a simple tool to easily run a simple MyDefrag script to highlight or defragment a file or directory with MyDefrag now also custom scripts.

The basic idea is that when this tool is installed in Explorers rightclick(context) menu in a MyDefrag submenu, you can rightclick on any file or directory and choose "Highlight" then MyDefrag will start and show the file highlighted in its diskmap or "Defragment" to defrag a file or a whole directory.

It can also be run directly from the commandline or a shortcut with a FullPath compatible filepath, to show for example all .exe files on a volume. only difference with FullPath is that you need to always provide a drive letter or it wont work.
Example:
Code:
MyDMenuTools.exe F:\*.iso
Will show all *.iso files on the F: drive. The default script used is Highlight.MyD, if you put another script name before the path that script will be used instead.
Code:
MyDMenuTools.exe Defragment.MyD F:\*.iso
Will defragment all *.iso files on the F: drive.

How to use custom scripts or change the default scripts:
Two things are needed for a script to work, first CommandlineVolumes() is used to specify which volume to run MyDefrag on, second is FullPath("!FilePath!","!FileName!") including the !FilePath! and !FileName! macros are used to send the filepath to MyDefrag.
The scripts have to be put in the same directory as the tool, if you add/delete a script or change the title of a script you need to uninstall and then reinstall to update the menu.

How to install:(if you installed a previous version you should uninstall before)
If you want to install the rightclick context submenu options, just extract the files where you want them and then run MyDMenuTools.exe and it will ask to install the Explorer rightclick submenu. Most probably it needs to be run as administrator when installing.

How to uninstall:
Just run MyDMenuTools.exe and when asked to uninstall choose yes and then remove the files.

This is the fourth beta release and might contain bugs.
Download MyDMenuTools.zip includes the .exe file and the original AutoHotkey script.

MyDefrag Menu Tools uses Fast Explorer Context Menu Extension DLL to create the MyDefrag submenu.

jonib
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 05:31:42 am by jonib » Logged

jeroen
Administrator
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 07:24:23 am »

Thanks for your contribution, I appreciate it. I will add a link on the "See Also" page in the next release.
dev0
JkDefrag Senior

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 07:30:03 am »

It seems to work, well done!

A few observations and suggestions:

1) I noticed, is that it's sometimes difficult to locate the file on the map using white as the highlight color due to all the other colors on the map, in particular, the bright yellow.  Would it be possible to set everything that's not the file in question to gray, and use red as the highlight color for the file itself?

2) Would it be possible to add a context option for Defragment(fast) for the selected file?

3) Maybe there's some way of updating the status text to display how fragmented the file is?

4) Can this menu be made to work on a directory as well as multiple files?   That way one could see where all the files belonging to a particular directory are located, or where the multiple files selected are located.  It would also be good if there were a context menu to defragment and make contiguous all the files in that directory, or the selected files.  I find this sort of thing useful for video editing projects.

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 07:32:05 am by dev0 » Logged
jonib
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 02:40:46 pm »

It seems to work, well done!
Which option did you prefer the SendTo submenu or the normal rightclick menu?
1) I noticed, is that it's sometimes difficult to locate the file on the map using white as the highlight color due to all the other colors on the map, in particular, the bright yellow.  Would it be possible to set everything that's not the file in question to gray, and use red as the highlight color for the file itself?
Shouldn't be a problem, I'll look into it.
2) Would it be possible to add a context option for Defragment(fast) for the selected file?
Sure.
3) Maybe there's some way of updating the status text to display how fragmented the file is?
Only way to see the fragmentation level is to point to the file to see the file info in the bottom of the MyDefrag window.
4) Can this menu be made to work on a directory as well as multiple files?   That way one could see where all the files belonging to a particular directory are located, or where the multiple files selected are located.
I thought of adding it to directories also but a directory is so small it would be hard to find, Shocked but showing all the files in that directory makes much more sense. Grin
It would also be good if there were a context menu to defragment and make contiguous all the files in that directory, or the selected files.  I find this sort of thing useful for video editing projects.
Defragmenting files in a directory is no problem, but if you want the files to be moved close to each other then the script needs to put them in a zone and move other files up.

OK, back to the codemine. Cheesy

jonib

dev0
JkDefrag Senior

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 08:52:02 pm »

Which option did you prefer the SendTo submenu or the normal rightclick menu?

I just used the normal menu, but my personal preference would be to have a MyDefrag menu option with submenus off of it, similar to the way "Send to..." works.
jonib
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 09:42:20 pm »

I just used the normal menu, but my personal preference would be to have a MyDefrag menu option with submenus off of it, similar to the way "Send to..." works.
Your wish is my command Smiley. I was actually going to describe how awfully difficult it would be and then I remembered this thread and suddenly it was too easy Grin

I'm going to release a new version with a MyDefrag submenu, today or tomorrow.

jonib

jonib
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 02:01:21 pm »

I have update and changed the name to MyDefrag Menu Tools.

I have added a MyDefrag submenu with two options "Highlight file with MyDefrag" and "Defragment file with MyDefrag" read more in the first post.

jonib

jonib
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 01:27:59 am »

I have uploaded a third beta version.

Now it uses external MyDefrag scripts so they can be modified or you can add other scripts, any script used needs to be specifically made for or modified to work.

jonib

jonib
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 05:33:24 am »

I have updated with support for the new FullPath syntax in MyDefrag 4.2.3.

jonib

biscuits
JkDefrag Junior

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 05:30:29 am »

I just used mydefrag for the first time yesterday  Cheesy

Anyway I am having problems with this menu tools. I always get the error: Error executing application: the system cannot find the file specified(2) Invoking: "filepath"

(screenshot attached)

Sorry I'm very new to this.

* mydmenutools.png (176.81 KB, 800x490 - viewed 5101 times.)
jonib
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 05:52:20 am »

Anyway I am having problems with this menu tools. I always get the error: Error executing application: the system cannot find the file specified(2) Invoking: "filepath"
Do you get this error installing the Menu tools? or when you try to run MyDefrag from the Explorer context(right click) menu?

You might have to run as administrator the first time to register the dll.

jonib

biscuits
JkDefrag Junior

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 07:13:51 am »

Hi,

I'm having problems when i try to run MyDefrag with its context menu. I also tried registering FEShlext.dll manually. It was successfully registered but im still having the problems.
jonib
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 07:23:16 am »

Could you post the FastExplorer.ini file?

jonib

biscuits
JkDefrag Junior

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 07:24:29 am »

Sure Wink

[Dynamic Items]
Parent1=0
Caption1=MyDefrag
Checked1=1
FileType1=AllFileSystemObjects
Hint1=
IconFile1=MyDefrag.exe
IconIndex1=0
Submenu1=1
Count=3
Parent2=1
Application2=C:\Program Files\MyDefrag v4.2.9\MyDMenu\MyDMenuTools.exe
Parameters2="C:\Program Files\MyDefrag v4.2.9\MyDMenu\Defragment.MyD" "%1"
Caption2=Defragment
Hint2=Defragment some files or directories
IconFile2=MyDefrag.exe
IconIndex2=0
Checked2=1
FileType2=AllFileSystemObjects
Parent3=1
Application3=C:\Program Files\MyDefrag v4.2.9\MyDMenu\MyDMenuTools.exe
Parameters3="C:\Program Files\MyDefrag v4.2.9\MyDMenu\Highlight.MyD" "%1"
Caption3=Highlight
Hint3=Highlight some files or directories
IconFile3=MyDefrag.exe
IconIndex3=0
Checked3=1
FileType3=AllFileSystemObjects
jonib
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 07:32:26 am »

Hmm, looks like the path to MyDefrag is missing, I'll check tomorrow if I can find out why.

You could try to add the correct path to any line that has MyDefrag.exe, or you could move the Menu tools files to the same directory you have MyDefrag.

jonib

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: