Intro Download and install Frequently Asked Questions Tips and tricks

Homepage

© J.C. Kessels 2009
MyDefrag Forum
December 19, 2014, 07:28:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: PendingDeletes & PendingRenames  (Read 11983 times)
gemisigo
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« on: June 23, 2009, 05:35:36 pm »

Does anyone know anything about the files in these directories?
C:\Windows\winsxs\Temp\PendingDeletes
C:\Windows\winsxs\Temp\PendingRenames

AFAIK files there are put on hold, os cannot delete or replace them because they are critical system files or have an open handle and those file operations should be done after a reboot. So these files should disappear.

The size of PendingRenames stays more or less the same, some files vanish while new ones are created, that's okay.
But PendingDeletes just keeps amassing files like they are never deleted. Right now it occupies 330megs in more than 600 files, many of them being unmovable (281 exactly). Those files force MyDefrag to fragment other files during the SlowOptimization.

Is there a way to make those "Pending" operations to trigger and finally remove what is marked to be removed? Except deleting them manually which is strongly not recommended, of course.
cg
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 06:22:04 pm »

There isn't a way to force the cleanup - apparently its supposed to happen periodically.  On my machine, those two folders add up to less than 5 MEGS of space, so it must happen at some point.   The whole winsxs folder thing is that its better to just leave it alone:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistaannouncements/thread/9411dbaa-69ac-43a1-8915-749670cec8c3/
gemisigo
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 09:25:54 pm »

Yes, I know and I would not mess with a folder that would require taking its ownership for doing anything on it. I agree that it is supposed to happen periodically (the word "pending" implies that). Your directories are small so it seems to work on your system. But in my PendingDeletes it does not. Most of the files are dated, many of them over one and a half years old. The reason why I asked is that the pending deletes obviously do not happen, neither periodically nor anytime at all. I've got hundreds of files I don't want to and most likely don't have to keep. And I don't see any reason for it.

The posts on the link above show that many people have the same problem. Though asking the same question and picturing their own situation over and over again without a single answer is something I find very dumb and I must admit, it makes me a little angry. Repeating the problem like it would solve it makes no sense. Nobody cares about other people's problem, we don't want to know if they have exactly x/y/z megs/gigs of obsolete files, that is irrelevant. We want to see a solution Smiley Or at least an explanation why there isn't any. Nothing I found on the net is of any use. As yet.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: