Intro Download and install Frequently Asked Questions Tips and tricks

Homepage

© J.C. Kessels 2009
MyDefrag Forum
July 24, 2014, 03:18:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: (bug?) with DoNotVacate  (Read 3950 times)
SyRiNx
JkDefrag Senior

View Profile
« on: March 16, 2009, 01:20:34 pm »

when using DoNotVacate mydefrag indeed doesn't vacate the place between zones
but the next zone can't use the files that are below the zone but still should be in that zone
so the space between zones stays full (if they were full at least :p )
jeroen
Administrator
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 11:07:17 pm »

I'm not sure what you are asking. You are using "DoNotVacate" and the files remain there, but you do not want that? Then do not use "DoNotVacate"....
SyRiNx
JkDefrag Senior

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 11:30:28 pm »

I'm not sure what you are asking. You are using "DoNotVacate" and the files remain there, but you do not want that? Then do not use "DoNotVacate"....

it's fine that they stay there when they are not needed immediately, but when there is a zone after the "free space" (with files of that zone) then they are not placed in that zone
they stay before the zone, and are not placed in the zone

sorry for the difficult language, it's kind of hard to explain (english isn't my main language an I don't write much in english) :s
WindHydra
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 12:40:18 am »

I think he's saying that files skipped with DoNotVacate should not be marked as processed.  This way, files in freespace don't need to be vacated and then move into the correct zone (2 moves), they can be moved straight from the freespace zone into the zone it should be in.
jeroen
Administrator
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 01:38:58 am »

when there is a zone after the "free space" (with files of that zone) then they are not placed in that zone they stay before the zone, and are not placed in the zone
Yes, that is how DoNotVacate is supposed to work. It's a time saver. I'm sorry but I do not see the problem, if you want the free space to be vacated then simply do not specify DoNotVacate.
SyRiNx
JkDefrag Senior

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 01:48:33 pm »

I think he's saying that files skipped with DoNotVacate should not be marked as processed.  This way, files in freespace don't need to be vacated and then move into the correct zone (2 moves), they can be moved straight from the freespace zone into the zone it should be in.

that's almost what I mean,

an example because it seems I can't explain it clearly Smiley:

fragmented files:
AABCBA      EE       CDFFD   sort by name with ABC in zone 1 and DEF in zone 2 with free space between the zones
with DoNotVacate it does:
first zone sort:
AAABBCC    EE         DFFD
going to second zone with DoNotVacate (EE isn't moved, that is the intention):
second zone sort:
AAABBCC    EE      DDFF  (EE isn't moved to the zone, it stays in the free space)

only the movement of the letters:
AABCBA      EE        CDFFD
AAABBCC    EE          DFFD
AAABBCC    EE     DDFF

what I think it should do:
AABCBA      EE       CDFFD
first zone sort:
going to second zone with DoNotVacate (EE isn't moved, that is the intention):
second zone sort:
AAABBCC            DDEEFF

only the movement of the letters:
AABCBA      EE        CDFFD
AAABBCC    EE          DFFD
AAABBCC            DDEEFF

hopefully you'll understand what I mean now :s
Ray Bell
JkDefrag Supporter

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 02:09:08 pm »

Does the problem occur only if the zone above the non-vacated free space is processed with a fast fill? If so could it be simply that the fast fill is only looking above its working location for files to fill gaps (as JKDefrag did) and not checking for files in the free space below.

Ray
SyRiNx
JkDefrag Senior

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 07:59:53 pm »

Does the problem occur only if the zone above the non-vacated free space is processed with a fast fill? If so could it be simply that the fast fill is only looking above its working location for files to fill gaps (as JKDefrag did) and not checking for files in the free space below.

Ray

it seems that with fastfill it just skips the files,
but with sort by name, mydefrag hangs and with that I mean my cpu stays on 50% and mydefrag says "Placing items in sorted order" and after the percentage it keeps on counting something,
I let it do this for over an hour (I have a core 2 duo 2GHz) for a 110 gig partition, I added the logfile for this, because this is a bug Smiley
screenshot with the corresponding logfile

* defrag E DoNotVacate.png (18.07 KB, 600x398 - viewed 388 times.)
* MyDefrag.log (555.63 KB - downloaded 178 times.)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 12:18:08 am by SyRiNx » Logged
jeroen
Administrator
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 01:53:24 am »

an example because it seems I can't explain it clearly Smiley:
Thanks for the example, I appreciate the explanation. But I think I understood what you were saying before. At the moment the program does exactly what you are asking for, it will perfectly sort the zone into DDEEFF and does not leave file EE in the gap.

But this is not how I designed the DoNotVacate() option. It is supposed to leave file EE in the gap and not move it into the zone, exactly what you are describing in your example. It is a time saver, to make the program finish quicker. If you want all files ordered perfectly then do not use DoNotVacate().
jeroen
Administrator
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 01:56:40 am »

mydefrag hangs and with that I mean my cpu stays on 50% and mydefrag says "Placing items in sorted order" and after the percentage it keeps on counting something,
Thanks for the logfile, I appreciate it! It shows an infinite loop bug while vacating files out of the way. I have just now learned about this bug in another thread here on the forum, and I will look into it. The bug is not caused by the DoNotVacate() option.
SyRiNx
JkDefrag Senior

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 10:47:11 am »

mydefrag hangs and with that I mean my cpu stays on 50% and mydefrag says "Placing items in sorted order" and after the percentage it keeps on counting something,
Thanks for the logfile, I appreciate it! It shows an infinite loop bug while vacating files out of the way. I have just now learned about this bug in another thread here on the forum, and I will look into it. The bug is not caused by the DoNotVacate() option.

but it only happens when I use DoNotVacate()  :s
that's kind of weird
jeroen
Administrator
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 12:31:34 pm »

but it only happens when I use DoNotVacate()
Happenstance.
SyRiNx
JkDefrag Senior

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 01:03:10 pm »

Happenstance.

well, that's also possible Smiley

so to be clear:
with fastfill and DoNotVacate: it doesn't move files out of the free space if they are under the zone
with sort by name: it should move the files out of the free space to the correct placement
?
jeroen
Administrator
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 02:41:30 am »

with fastfill and DoNotVacate: it doesn't move files out of the free space if they are under the zone
Yes, files are left in the free space.

with sort by name: it should move the files out of the free space to the correct placement?
Yes, at the moment. But that is a bug and I will be changing it in the future so that files are left in the free space.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: