Intro Download and install Frequently Asked Questions Tips and tricks

Homepage

© J.C. Kessels 2009
MyDefrag Forum
October 25, 2014, 10:08:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Adding an Error checking Everytime it runs  (Read 5202 times)
gemini
JkDefrag Supporter

View Profile
« on: February 15, 2007, 08:49:48 am »

Maybe it could be more better if jkdefrag has an automatic Hard drive error checking feature before the actual defragmentations runs...so as to avoid possible corruptions of files in the drive. If it founds some errors then it will halt the defrag functions and inform the user that the drive needs an error checking.
jeroen
Administrator
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 06:26:45 pm »

Thanks for your suggestion, I appreciate it! If you can give me sourcecode to check all possible storage devices (such as harddisks) for all possible filesystems and all possible Windows versions then I'd love to build that into JkDefrag. In the meantime the chances of files getting corrupted are virtually zero. JkDefrag does not access the harddisk by itself, it is based on the Microsoft defragmentation API. Which is very solid and very secure. Windows if pretty good in detecting errors on the harddisk, and if it finds an error then the API will simply refuse to move the file.
gemini
JkDefrag Supporter

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 01:14:26 pm »

So what u really mean was that I can always run jkdefrag even without checking errors on my drives?

it's safe and there's nothing to worry about and everything will be always fine coz it'll be managed automatically by os?

and I can just schedule to check errors maybe once a month?
idle.newbie
JkDefrag Junior

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 04:00:35 pm »

http://www.sysinternals.com/SourceCode/fmifs.html
sysinternals article "Chkdskx and Formatx" w/ source.
jeroen
Administrator
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 06:43:29 pm »

Quote from: "gemini"
So what u really mean was that I can always run jkdefrag even without checking errors on my drives?

JkDefrag accesses harddisks through Windows, just like any other application. It simply instructs Windows to move a file to another place on the disk. It does not access the disk by itself and does not mess about in the MFT. It therefore cannot get confused and cannot scramble things if there is something wrong with the disk. It's windows that is doing things, not JkDefrag.

You don't check your drives for errors when you want to run Word, or Outlook, or any other application that read/writes to harddisk, right? You might argue it's a sensible precaution, and I will have to agree on purely theoretical grounds. But there is no need. Like I said before, Windows if pretty good in detecting errors on the harddisk and protecting your data. So my answer is yes, you can always run JkDefrag, without first checking your disks for errors.

By the way, it's still a good idea to backup before defragmenting, just like with other defragmenters, because the heavy use of the harddisk may trigger a hardware fault.
jeroen
Administrator
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 06:46:19 pm »

Quote from: "idle.newbie"
http://www.sysinternals.com/SourceCode/fmifs.html
sysinternals article "Chkdskx and Formatx" w/ source.

Thanks for the link, I appreciate it! I didn't know that Windows has a single platform-independent function call to check a disk. Very interesting! I think I may build this into JkDefrag, it looks easy enough, and will perhaps calm the fears that many people seem to have.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: