Intro Download and install Frequently Asked Questions Tips and tricks

Homepage

© J.C. Kessels 2009
MyDefrag Forum
August 01, 2014, 04:55:05 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: ImportListFromBootOptimize() in FileBoolean expressions  (Read 5297 times)
poutnik
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2009, 06:57:14 am »

I noticed another issue, that is related to layout.ini  - VirtualStore feature of Vista.

There is a 64 MB data file in Program FilesArena\Book\mainbook.abk ( Chess opening database) , managed by my layout.ini.  This file has last access date 3rd January.  Smiley 

The reason is this file is not used at all, but other - modified - copy in my VirtualStore.
( Users in Vista are able to modify files in Windows or Program files even without write permission.
It is Vista tricky solution, redirecting the write to VirtualStore folder in \Users\user\ area.)

Note that I use Vista under non-privilaged account.

That file is than used for given user instead of the original file.
The illusion of using the original file is so good,
that other parts of Vista are fooled by that.   Smiley

In my case it is easily avoided by LastAccess timestamp.

It can be fast, good or easy. You can pick just 2 of them....
Treating Spacehog zone by the same effort as Boot zone is like cleaning a garden by the same effort as a living room.
Lundholm
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2009, 09:20:12 am »

Yes, it will be a reason.

Yes, but the main issue is Windows trying to "optimize" everything you do by including your recently used files and whatever MS thinks should be there. I have found MS office files that I never use in the layout.ini file. So trust me: it cannot be trusted.  Wink

"O, there has been much throwing about of brains." -- Guildenstern{alt. Gyldenstern[alt. Gyldenstjerne(anc. Gyllenstierna{knight of Lundholm})], knight of Hamlet}.
poutnik
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2009, 09:28:05 am »

Yes, but the main issue is Windows trying to "optimize" everything you do by including your recently used files and whatever MS thinks should be there. I have found MS office files that I never use in the layout.ini file. So trust me: it cannot be trusted.  Wink

I trust you. But I need not to trust you not to trust layout.ini.   Cheesy

I remember PerfectDisk has several options for layout.ini.
Roughly said  either mainly full layout.ini content, or boot files only .
( about max 20% of the former ).

But I do not want people think I am starving for boot optimization.
The thread was opened to clarify script features for myself.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 09:30:11 am by poutnik » Logged

It can be fast, good or easy. You can pick just 2 of them....
Treating Spacehog zone by the same effort as Boot zone is like cleaning a garden by the same effort as a living room.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: