Intro Download and install Frequently Asked Questions Tips and tricks

Homepage

© J.C. Kessels 2009
MyDefrag Forum
April 16, 2014, 05:11:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Flash Memory Disks" option not working on my SSD  (Read 3438 times)
JimF
JkDefrag Supporter

View Profile
« on: February 26, 2009, 05:45:12 pm »

When I run the Flash Memory Disks option, the MyDefrag screen opens but remains blank and nothing happens.  I checked the Statistics also, and they are all "0".  But when I run the "Force Together" option, it works properly, and also the "Defragment Only" option works properly.  Maybe MyDefag only looks for removable flash media, and not SSDs?

PC: ThinkPad X60
SSD: PQI DK9640GD2R000A03 (64 GB)

By the way, when it does run, it is much faster than PefectDisk, so it will be really useful in my ThinkPad, since I can't schedule defrags on that anyway.
jeroen
Administrator
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 06:23:15 pm »

When I run the Flash Memory Disks option, the MyDefrag screen opens but remains blank and nothing happens.
Yes, this is a bug in the beta.

Maybe MyDefag only looks for removable flash media, and not SSDs?
Yes, the FlashMemoryDisks.MyD script only processes removable, writable, mounted disks. If your SSD is not seen as "removable" (which depends on it's driver) then it will be automatically processed by the regular scripts, for example the FastOptimize.MyD script.

I do not know of any way to distinguish between a regular harddisk and an SSD harddisk, they are designed to be transparently compatible, so the only thing I can do is look at the removable attribute. If you know how I can distinguish SSD disks then please let me know. In the mean time you will have to adapt the scripts with for example the Name() function.
JimF
JkDefrag Supporter

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 06:47:37 pm »

OK, I tried Name("c:") in the Flash Memory Disks script, but keep getting the error "Lexical error at line 1 column 1.  Unknown symbol".  I tried both notepad and wordpad as editors.  What am I missing?
jeroen
Administrator
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 07:18:15 pm »

There is an issue with the Unicode BOM mark. Delete what you have now, make a copy of an original script, and then open it with Notepad and make sure that you select the "Unicode" encoding while opening the file.
JimF
JkDefrag Supporter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 08:02:37 pm »

OK, Unicode is selected by default when I go to save the file, but I still get the error, even if I don't make any changes to the script, but just save it under a different name.  Is there another script editor I should try?  In addition to Notepad, I checked Wordpad and even Office Word 2007, saving each as Unicode, with no luck.
jeroen
Administrator
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 08:14:46 pm »

I still get the error
Wait for the next beta, it will solve this problem.
JimF
JkDefrag Supporter

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 08:22:15 pm »

That was my next suggestion.  Thanks!
poutnik
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 08:45:02 pm »

OK, Unicode is selected by default when I go to save the file, but I still get the error, even if I don't make any changes to the script, but just save it under a different name.  Is there another script editor I should try?  In addition to Notepad, I checked Wordpad and even Office Word 2007, saving each as Unicode, with no luck.
As a workaround, try PSPad.
It saves unicode with BOM bytes, but you can then open the file back in PSPad in hex editor mode.
Then overwrite the very first 2 bytes ( FF FE ) by e.g. 23 00 ( unicode code for # ) and save.

It can be fast, good or easy. You can pick just 2 of them....
Treating Spacehog zone by the same effort as Boot zone is like cleaning a garden by the same effort as a living room.
JimF
JkDefrag Supporter

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 09:06:44 pm »

Thanks much, but it sounds like work.  My SSD will do fine until the next beta. Wink
poutnik
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 09:11:19 pm »

It was general suggestion for script editing, not limited to particular use.

It can be fast, good or easy. You can pick just 2 of them....
Treating Spacehog zone by the same effort as Boot zone is like cleaning a garden by the same effort as a living room.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: