Intro Download and install Frequently Asked Questions Tips and tricks

Homepage

© J.C. Kessels 2009
MyDefrag Forum
April 18, 2014, 01:16:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Little problems and fixes  (Read 2240 times)
Dezeer
JkDefrag Supporter

View Profile
« on: February 22, 2009, 02:59:14 pm »

The new defragmenter is nice, but there is some fixes to do, and maybe things to add.

[1st]
The language selection works well, but the statistics windows can't be translated, I hope you add it to the next version.
[2nd] While in the statistics window, if window is small and scrolled down when an update happens it will pop to top -> it's hard to read the last information while the window is small.
[3rd] The last line in statistics could be breaked into to lines?
[4th] Statistic window, the font could be smaller so there fits more information on smaller area.
[5th] While in statistic window it seems to update all the time and so uses a lot processor, even if it's ended the work, like only analyzed through, why? To me it does not need to update the disk information like how many files there is. Or alternately make it update only like once per 10 seconds.
[6th] The program is slow when it's processing small files, is it maybe because it's writing a hell of a lot into the log file?
[7th] The program shows the size in bytes, it could show them in kilobytes so that is neater.
[8th] The colors could also be editable?
[/list]
6th A note, it may be a problem in my antivirus program(comodo internet security). What is changed from jkdefrag to mydefrag on moving a file, becouse jkdefrag works perfectly?
7th TO leolo it should show them as KiB
I am going to add things here if I find something to be wrong or maybe be presented different way.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 07:33:24 am by Dezeer » Logged
Leolo
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 09:05:58 pm »

Hi,

Just a little remark. If you decide to show the sizes in kilobytes or megabytes, please be specific and tell us which convention is going to be used.

Those prefixes are ambiguous and need to be clarified to avoid confusion. A kilobyte could mean 1000 bytes or it could also mean 1024 bytes, depending on the situation.

Of course, you could also use the new binary prefixes. But unfortunately almost no-one is using them in Windows, because Microsoft doesn't use them. It seems they are winning acceptance only in linux.

Kind regards.
jeroen
Administrator
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 10:53:20 pm »

[1st] The language selection works well, but the statistics windows can't be translated, I hope you add it to the next version.
The statistics will be translatable, yes.

[2nd] While in the statistics window, if window is small and scrolled down when an update happens it will pop to top -> it's hard to read the last information while the window is small.
Yes, I have to add something that remembers the current scrolling position.

[3rd] The last line in statistics could be breaked into to lines?
It's only there for debugging purposes and will not be in the final version.

[4th] Statistic window, the font could be smaller so there fits more information on smaller area.
Yes.

[5th] While in statistic window it seems to update all the time and so uses a lot processor
At the moment it refreshes 4 times per second for debugging purposes. In the final version it will be less, for example 1 time per 2 seconds, and will stop when the script has finished.

[6th] The program is slow when it's processing small files, is it maybe because it's writing a hell of a lot into the log file?
Yes, the log makes the beta a lot slower.

[7th] The program shows the size in bytes, it could show them in kilobytes so that is neater.
Well, I personally prefer exact numbers. Also I prefer lists where all numbers are expressed the same, not some numbers in kilobytes and others in megabytes, and such. The lowest common denominator is bytes. Perhaps in the future I will add a script setting so the user can choose between always bytes or automatically scaled.

[8th] The colors could also be editable?
Already there, see the SetPalette() script setting.

p.s. At the moment I am focusing on (serious) bugs. Improvements will come later, including performance improvements.
jeroen
Administrator
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 10:57:39 pm »

A kilobyte could mean 1000 bytes or it could also mean 1024 bytes, depending on the situation.
The binary definition of a kilobyte (1024 bytes per kilobyte) is used for data storage (harddisk, memory, etc). The metric definition of a kilobyte (1000 bytes per kilobyte) is used in data communication, for expressing things like bandwidth and throughput.
Leolo
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 01:19:04 am »

Hi,

The binary definition of a kilobyte (1024 bytes per kilobyte) is used for data storage (harddisk, memory, etc). The metric definition of a kilobyte (1000 bytes per kilobyte) is used in data communication, for expressing things like bandwidth and throughput.

Well, that neat distinction was valid only in the good old days.

Today's world is a horrible mess. Hard drive manufacturers prefer the standard SI definition (1 kilobyte = 1000 bytes), and CD/DVD manufacturers have also started to use standard SI definitions (blank CDs were sold assuming 1 kilobyte = 1024 bytes, however, blank DVDs are sold assuming 1 kilobyte = 1000 bytes).

Look at what Seagate says about this:
http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=Storage_Capacity_Measurement_Standards_-_Seagate_Technology&vgnextoid=9493781e73d5d010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD
Motivation for Proposed Prefixes for Binary Multiples
Once upon a time, computer professionals noticed that 1024 or 2 to the 10 (binary) was very nearly equal to 1000 or 10 to the 3 (decimal) and started using the prefix "kilo" to mean 1024. That worked well enough for a decade or two because everybody who talked kilobytes knew that the term implied 1024 bytes. But almost overnight a much more numerous "everybody" bought computers, and the trade computer professionals needed to talk to physicists and engineers and even to ordinary people, most of whom know that a kilometre is 1000 metres and a kilogram is 1000 grams.

Often, when two or more people begin discussing storage capacity, some will refer to binary values and others will refer to decimal values without making a distinction between the two. This has caused much confusion in the past. In an effort to end this confusion, all major hard drive manufactures use decimal values when discussing storage capacity.

Even flash media manufacturers are using standard SI definitions (1 kilobyte = 1000 bytes)

And in data communications, whenever computers are involved, the situation is also horrid. Internet Explorer shows the download speed in KB/s where 1 kilobyte = 1024 bytes.

It's all a mess Sad

« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 01:37:38 am by Leolo » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: