Intro Download and install Frequently Asked Questions Tips and tricks

Homepage

© J.C. Kessels 2009
MyDefrag Forum
August 31, 2014, 11:13:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Crash report and loss of MFT reserved zone on C:  (Read 2695 times)
SledgeHammer
JkDefrag Senior

Trust me - I know what I'm doing!

View Profile
« on: February 21, 2009, 03:15:25 pm »

Woot, its testing time. Wink

Just ran AnalyzeOnly.MyD by doubleclicking. Analyze of Partitions C and D went fine, crash when examining partition E (all on one physical disk).

Code:
15:00:15 Starting VolumeBoolean for 'E:' ('\\?\Volume{50b9cd6d-4b75-11dd-809c-00138fca2609}').
15:00:15   Volume medium is not removable.
15:00:15   Volume is writable.
15:00:15   Volume is mounted.
15:00:15   Finished VolumeBoolean: TRUE
15:00:15 Testing if volume 'E:' ('\\?\Volume{50b9cd6d-4b75-11dd-809c-00138fca2609}') is hybernated.
15:00:15 Starting VolumeActions.
15:00:15   Starting FileSelect.
I have crashed!
  Command line: "C:\Programme\MyDefrag\MyDefrag.exe"  -r "C:\Programme\MyDefrag\AnalyzeOnly.MyD" "" "" "" "" "" "" "" ""
  Exception: ACCESS_VIOLATION (the memory could not be read or written)
  1. At line 473 in 'd:\www.kessels.com\sources\mydefrag\mydefrag\tree.cpp'
  2. At line 3243 in 'd:\www.kessels.com\sources\mydefrag\mydefrag\disk.cpp'
  3. At line 835 in 'd:\www.kessels.com\sources\mydefrag\mydefrag\interpret.cpp'
  4. At line 43 in 'd:\www.kessels.com\sources\mydefrag\mydefrag\interpret.cpp'
  5. At line 2661 in 'd:\www.kessels.com\sources\mydefrag\mydefrag\interpret.cpp'
  6. At line 43 in 'd:\www.kessels.com\sources\mydefrag\mydefrag\interpret.cpp'
  7. At line 250 in 'd:\www.kessels.com\sources\mydefrag\mydefrag\interpret.cpp'
  8. At line 43 in 'd:\www.kessels.com\sources\mydefrag\mydefrag\interpret.cpp'
  9. At line 2661 in 'd:\www.kessels.com\sources\mydefrag\mydefrag\interpret.cpp'
  10. At line 43 in 'd:\www.kessels.com\sources\mydefrag\mydefrag\interpret.cpp'
  11. At line 2661 in 'd:\www.kessels.com\sources\mydefrag\mydefrag\interpret.cpp'
  12. At line 43 in 'd:\www.kessels.com\sources\mydefrag\mydefrag\interpret.cpp'
  13. At line 2661 in 'd:\www.kessels.com\sources\mydefrag\mydefrag\interpret.cpp'
  14. At line 43 in 'd:\www.kessels.com\sources\mydefrag\mydefrag\interpret.cpp'
  15. At line 2661 in 'd:\www.kessels.com\sources\mydefrag\mydefrag\interpret.cpp'
  16. At line 43 in 'd:\www.kessels.com\sources\mydefrag\mydefrag\interpret.cpp'
  17. At line 2661 in 'd:\www.kessels.com\sources\mydefrag\mydefrag\interpret.cpp'
  18. At line 43 in 'd:\www.kessels.com\sources\mydefrag\mydefrag\interpret.cpp'
  19. At line 2661 in 'd:\www.kessels.com\sources\mydefrag\mydefrag\interpret.cpp'
  20. At line 43 in 'd:\www.kessels.com\sources\mydefrag\mydefrag\interpret.cpp'
  21. At line 2661 in 'd:\www.kessels.com\sources\mydefrag\mydefrag\interpret.cpp'
  22. At line 466 in 'd:\www.kessels.com\sources\mydefrag\mydefrag\execute.cpp'
  23. At line 598 in 'd:\www.ke

Is this a case of "The program can crash when it starts to process a new disk." or something new to you?

I am much more concerned about the fact, that my C: drive seems to have lost the MFT reserved zone.

This morning, I ran "mydefrag.exe -a 3 -f 5 c: -e c:\windows\$*" from a batch file. MFT was there.
Repeated it early afternoon. MFT reserved zone was gone, disk content was moved around to fill the now empty space.

New analyzing run with mydefrag and jkdefrag does not show an MFT-reserved zone.

What have I done?

torned
JkDefrag Senior

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 04:16:04 pm »

For me now the MFT is at the end of the disk !
quanthero
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 04:40:37 pm »

For me now the MFT is at the end of the disk !

I have tested MyDefrag with several optimization modes already, and I can say that what you are seeing is (most likely) MFT Zone being at the end of the disk (after the data, to be more precise). MFT itself is moved to the beginning of a disk.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 06:09:31 pm by quanthero » Logged
jeroen
Administrator
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 08:02:56 pm »

Is this a case of "The program can crash when it starts to process a new disk." or something new to you?
Yes, this is a case of that problem. It has nothing to do with the disk itself, if you run the program for only the E: disk you will see it works fine.

I am much more concerned about the fact, that my C: drive seems to have lost the MFT reserved zone.
After MyDefrag has moved the MFT, and after a reboot, then Windows automatically changes the reserved zone to accomodate the new location of the MFT. In the MyDefrag logfile you will see 3 "Mft reserved area"s listed. It is not gone, just changed.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: