Intro Download and install Frequently Asked Questions Tips and tricks

Homepage

© J.C. Kessels 2009
MyDefrag Forum
October 31, 2014, 10:21:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: force shutdown with external "shutdown -f"  (Read 2203 times)
willemijns
JkDefrag Supporter

View Profile
« on: July 30, 2008, 04:51:22 pm »

hello,

i read in the main page

All versions of JkDefrag can be stopped safely at any time, there is no risk of losing data or corrupting your disk. You can use all the usual ways to stop a Windows program, such as pressing ALT-F4, clicking the 'x' in the top-right corner, via the pull-down menu in the taskbar, or by killing the program via the task manager or another utility.

killing with help of task manager a software which move (write) data without data loss, huhuhuhuhuhu... i really thing this method is a danger for our data...
jeroen
Administrator
JkDefrag Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 04:21:31 am »

JkDefrag is based on the Microsoft defragmentation API and basically all it does is send "move this file to that location" commands to that API. The actual data movement is not performed inside JkDefrag, but somewhere deep inside the Windows kernel. Killing JkDefrag is therefore perfectly safe, you are only killing a user program, not the kernel.

But it's even safe if the computer crashes, or if you power-off in the middle of defragmenting. Microsoft is a bit careful in their claims, they have to be, but I've never heard of anyone losing data that way. I imagine what happens is that the API first makes a copy of the file, verifies the copy, then links the old and the new copy together, verifies the link, and only then deletes the original file. This procedure is crash-proof and data cannot be lost.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: